If you don’t have a ...
- waiting area
- observation room
- envelope with
- Pay right away if you can
- Be flexible about means
- PayPal, Venmo,
Ca$hApp, Square, gift
An interaction style characterized by
- compliment views
about your product
- ask leading
- compliment kids, pets
- acknowledge hard times
- praise detail
- express sympathy &
I see that...
If your participant breaks into tears
- “It’s ok, feelings are just ﬁne here”
- “Take your time”
- “I wish I could offer you a hand to hold”
- “Do you want to continue?”
If you need a moment
- “I need to pause for a moment”
- “Let me just catch up on my notes here”
- “That’s a powerful story”
There’s more to recruiting & scheduling
when you won’t share space.
Where are the people with the
problem you want to solve?
- team members.
- friends, not on your team.
- target customers.
- real users with recent experience.
- real users with current needs.
- real users with a need this hour.
Are you available for a
1-hour interview at the
downtown facility June
Parking is free.
Are you available for a
1-hour call June 22-24?
You’ll need to have your
device & be somewhere
with good wi-ﬁ service.
Who else do you know who needs to deal with this issue?
[ neighbor ]
[ friend ]
[ family member ]
Who else in the organization had an important role in this
moving forward (or not)?
[ sponsor ]
[ project lead ]
[ hands-on staff ]
Closing the deal
- send an invitation with clear details
- mention where they signed up
- explain the required tech setup in plain
- send a calendar invite if they use a calendar app
- send a reminder one day before
Choosing Remote Tech
- What do you need to see?
- How many kajillion options arethere?
- Which ones really work?
Easy ~Doable~ Hard Science
- video conference (always)
- easy screensharing (often one-click)
- recording (in paid plans)
- dial out to participant (sometimes)
Mobile screensharing too*
*Fair warning: it’s not that easy
to walk a participant through setup
Alternate mobile screensharing
Alternate mobile broadcasting?
private account + live + screen recorder = ?!
easy for your
available to you
- send your prototype or prompt
- speak on the phone while your participant
- follow along with your own copy & ask for
description as needed
- use a call recorder if you can
Notes, Audio, & Video
- Observers may be harder to host
- Prioritize what you’ll need to show
- Respect your participant’s bandwidth
- integrated recording
- higher bandwidth
- easy for you to call the
- may be more
- less likely to cut off
- recording is harder
Plain old telephone
Time-stamping notes allows easy video clipping
Watch column D
Spreadsheet formulas for timestamping (1)
Spreadsheet formulas for timestamping (2)
Getting the Resources
- What to pitch to stakeholders
- How to ask for more time
40+ million out of work in the USA
100,000+ lost to COVID-19
Protest movement & repression
Tech company layoffs
Government budget cuts
Something has changed
who touches your product
Before-times research could explain
- oddities in analytics
- weird feedback from customers
- unexpected uses of products
- strange hunches
What you must have
- conference software with recording (pro plan)
- budget for incentives if at all possible
- extra time for recruiting
- extra time for synthesis
- permission to reflect & revise your research
We can honor our users’ needs
& support each other as researchers
even at a distance.
See you right now for questions &
@cydharrell any time you want to
talk about this