An Introduction to Taking Notes &
Creating a Thesis
• Three economic systems
• Read 2-3 articles on topic
• Using Cornell notes students extract the most
Paraphrasing & Summary
• Put the information in your own words (go
back and fix this if you didn’t do it)
• Summarize the information with your partner
• What is a thesis?
• A general sentence with a subject and an
– Australia is the best country of all for a vacation.
Thesis = Umbrella
Supporting information has
to fit under the umbrella
Develop Your Thesis
• What is the subject?
• Reviewing your notes with your partner
• Develop a general opinion that provides an
umbrella for your research.
– A command economy creates a stable economic
structure for a country to be competitive in the
Turn in Your Thesis
• Create a new box labeled Thesis.
• Type your thesis sentence into the new box.
• Resave your Google Doc, or resubmit your
Word Doc to my Inbox:
– Bolton, Inbox, Winslow + hour.