3. What is the New
• Is there a new reality?
• At some point we move from a post-
industrial economy to something else -
What is it?
• How do we know when it’s a social shift
and not just incremental change?
11. Next Generation Use
• The UK saw the highest growth in smartphone take-up in the past year with a 70 per cent
rise in subscriber numbers between January 2009 and January 2010.
• People in the UK are using their mobile phones for social networking more than in other
• Data volumes over mobile networks increased by 240 per cent in 2009.
• Nearly a quarter of adults (23 per cent) accessed content or sent emails on their mobile
phones. Among 15-24s this rises to 45 per cent.
• UK consumers who have internet-enabled phones are also spending almost as much time
surfing the net on their mobiles (1.3 hours per month) as they do texting (1.5 hours per
• Facebook accounted for almost half (45 per cent) of total time spent online on mobiles in
12. Is this the network
• Networks as the distinguishing feature
• Blurred boundaries
• Open by default
• Power is not hierarchical
• Relevance is earned
16. What saved the bank?
• The ability to observe the world from
30,000ft and analyse at 3 inches
• The ability to inspire and enable followers
• Being there when it counts – willing to
stand up and be counted
• Pathological collaboration with peers to
solve problems and get things done
17. What might it mean to
lead in this new reality?
• To be open and transparent
• To think in public
• To have to understand power in a new way
24. Get in touch
+44 (0)7968 719940
+44 (0)7778 647712
25. Let’s Play!
• Round One – Locate our Connectors:
• Find out everyone in the room who:
• You have spoken a few words with them – black & white dot
• You have had a conversation – pink dot
• You know them well enough to lend them money and know
you’d get it back – red dot
• Be honest about it – we need a good picture of our
• What are the implications and possibilities of the stickers for us?
Use mumuration video and/or flocking
Activity - do a line up – conclusion – energy might be less than containment! Consequences of this in your work?
1 hour - This may suggest - what is successful – a factor of 3 energy releasing things vs one containment -