Agro-Know Technologies teamIT Experts Agro-Know Technologies is a research SME in developing new technologies for the organisation of agricultural knowledge … Is located in Athens, Greece Experts in Agricultural Sciences
Due to the crisis• Many friends, collaborators and relatives start asking for information on how to grow vegetables, herbs and fruit trees at their place: balconies, roof gardens, backyards, etc I would like to replace the flowers in my backyard to vegetables. Which varieties do you suggest for my region? How can I Where can I find grow tomatoseeds of vegetables plants in my for my terrace How often do I have balcony? garden? to water my herbs?
• At the same time a lot of articles in newspapers, web sites, blogs etc urge citizens to grow their own home garden Take care the vegetables in your balcony Vegetables garden in your balcony Grow your vegetables in your balcony …
• Citizens’ communities have already established vegetable, flower and herb gardens in public places (e.g. schools) Vegetable garden in the Municipal vegetable vegetable garden in School garden in municipality of Alexandroupoli Drama (North Greece) (South Greece) Peloponnese
Emerging need• Connection of the existing agricultural knowledge of young agronomists and scientists from related research fields with citizens’ interest to apply the theory into practice.
OER growers idea• A training project for young agronomists and scientists from related research fields on how to use new technologies• Enables new agronomists to work on their free time combing their agricultural knowledge with the use ofo Online tools: e-learning platforms (e.g. moodle) o Web 2.0 tools: blogs, wiki, Flickr, YouTube• Agronomists’ experiments are available to the end-users (citizens)
Benefit of participation• ICT training• Run an experiment at participants’ own time and place• Opportunity to present the practical use of the experiment achievements• Linkage with other agronomists and researchers from different domains with common interests• Support Greek Community of Green OER (Open Educational Resources)
OER growers in seasons• Depending on the weather conditions and the availability of participants, an OER grower can join the pilot project and implement a small scale experiment in … November - June - July - August March - April - May December - January
Become an OER grower !1. Choose the experiment, depending on participant’s research interest and his/her scientific background2. Use his own material and place for the completion of the experiment3. Participation in the training on specific online & web2.0 tools4. Frequent record of the experiment progress5. Presentation & Evaluation of the experiment6. Certification
1. Choose the topic of the experimentCompost Propagate your vegetablesGrowing your tulips Take care your tomato
2. Use your own material and place Grow the plants in pots in your place Grow the plants in protected place Grow the plants in your garden in you garden
3. OER growers training• 4 online trainings• 1 physical training (optional) Online training Physical training
4. Progress of the experiment Online calendar - 3 postswiki page Related material (externalweek Upload photos & / sources Report - OER growers’videos on (http://blog.oergrowers.gr/) (http://blog.oergrowers.gr/) e.g. YouTubeYouTube Flickr and videos)
5. Presentation & 6. Certificate Final presentation of the experiment (using the wiki page) Certificate of participation in OER growers
project cucumbers• Wiki page on rationale/approach – an urban balcony case study• frequent blogging on how her plants grew• proposed interesting techniques for watering during intensive heat by using crystals• had enough time to demonstrate also collection/harvesting 19
Konstantina’s reflection• “Στόχος είναι η δημιουργία ενός αστικού N ED λαχανόκηπου στο μπαλκόνι μας. IO SH• Η ιδέα περιλαμβάνει την αντικατάσταση S I IS PL καλλωπιστικών φυτών με καλλιέργειες M M που θα χρησιμοποιούνται από το C O νοικοκυριό με σκοπό την κατανάλωση σπιτικών προϊόντων. AC• Ως μία πρώτη επαφή με το αντικείμενο επιλέχθηκε η καλλιέργεια του αγγουριού. 21