• Project management is the process of planning, scheduling and controlling all of the activities within each stage of the system development cycle.• Good project management involves creating a project plan.• A project plan is a summary of a project that specifies who, what, how and when.• A project plan usually breaks down the project into major tasks called subprojects.
• It must also provide an overall schedule and a proposed schedule for each of the subprojects. • One of the most popular tools for graphically recording and tracking these schedules is a Gantt chart.ProjectPlanCollect dataDesign websiteCreate websiteTest website
• It must also identify the people, information technology and data/information required by the system.• To minimise problems, people working on the project should understand the need for project goals, deliverables and schedules.• Project goals may be broad or specific and they relate to ways of testing if the project is successful.• Deliverables are tangible items expected from a task. E.g. a report, diagram, manual
• Schedules set out the timing of major tasks and assigns personnel to each task.• The success of a new system depends upon accurate time estimates.• Communication skills incorporate a variety of strategies and techniques for dealing with other people.• They facilitate information sharing and genuine understanding.
• They include: • active listening • conflict resolution • negotiation skills • interview techniques • team building
• Active listening involves restating, reflecting and summarising the speaker’s ideas.• Conflict resolution solves arguments and disputes.• It involves listening to all sides of a problem and looking for any viable solutions.• Negotiation skills are used to reach a compromise between all parties.
• Interview techniques involve careful preparation, implementation and follow-up.• Some general rules could include: • Make sure the purpose of the interview is understood. • Ask open-ended questions. • Restate the responses. • Review the main points. • Follow up on any unclear information.
• Team building is the process of getting a group of people working together effectively.• A number of different roles are required for the project to succeed.• Three important roles are: • systems analysts • programmers • project leaders