This was the very early stages of the magazine. The picture I had taken I felt worked perfectly as it gave me plenty of space to work in the key left hand side of a magazine. I used Stroke and Bevel and Emboss which I feel has brought out the masthead perfectly. However the most important part of the front cover is the Main Image, to make sure the masthead doesn’t take any attention away from this it has been put behind it.
I’ve decided to use this screenshot from my stages of production due to it having a couple of features I decided against using. Both the Yellow and Orange boxes have gone from the finished version as I don’t feel they represent what I want my magazine to be. The two things that have stayed the same are the ‘Free legal….’ and the warping style of the issue number.
This was one of the ideas that started off as just a little experiment but actually fitted really well and stayed as part of my music magazine. The brush takes away the light brick wall and the new wall fits in more with the text and the entirety of the front cover.
This was at a stage where the front cover was near completion, obviously a few tweaks here and there took place towards the end to improve it even further. Two of the features of the front cover I was most happy with was 1) The film strip going along the bottom with some cover lines and 2) The Black layer at the top which filled the space of a blank brick wall, a cover line was also used here. I kept to the house style of white and black text throughout, the only exception to the rule being the masthead so that it stands out from the rest.
This was the final completed front cover, as you can see only a few things have changed from the previous slide. The Artists name is now bold, bigger and clearer. It also goes over part of the main image, a bit risky some might say but I feel this would work well in getting the readers attention. The other change is putting the quote in, I feel I’ve chosen a quote that perfectly reflects what I want the interview and magazine to be about. The final change was to decrease the opacity of the brush, the lower opacity means it takes away the plain brick wall while not taking anything away from the text.
This was my first attempt at the contents page. As you can see it’s pretty bland and there’s basically nothing going on. There’s only one image which realistically isn’t enough for a contents page and despite wanting to keep a black and white theme throughout there still needs to be slightly more colour to it.
The difference between this screenshot and the previous one is vast. Firstly, two more images have been added making it look like a more realistic contents page. Secondly some colour has been added to it, with 3 blocks of red. Lastly something that I feel is a very cool feature is an image of the front cover in the top left hand corner. The result of these 3 features is it not only improves the look but it makes it look busier and far closer to a real life contents page than the previous effort.
The double page spread is of the 3 the one I had the least trouble with as I had pretty much completely decided the look before I had started. The image taking up one page and text the other is always something I’ve been a fan of so wanted to implement that to my music magazine. On the other side is 3 columns of text which I feel is more professional than any magazines that only use 2. At the top of the page follows a similar theme, Artist name taking up half the page and then a description on the other side going across the space.
This is the finished copy of the double page spread. The page numbers I feel are the last thing a reader is looking for in a contents page so reduced the size of these greatly. I had always planned to use some sort of brush on the Double Page Spread but decided against using it until I had all the text in place, the snowbrush is a perfect fit with the picture that goes with the article. I also decided to decrease the opacity to around the 50% mark to make sure that it didn’t block the text in any shape or form.