• Fall of Rome in Western Europe lack of
• All that remains of Rome in the West is the
Catholic (Christian) Church.
• Invasions by groups like the Vikings
peasants seeking protection from warriors
rise of a warrior aristocracy
• Eventually kings will emerge and feudalism
1. In this passage, who are the vassals and who
are the greater nobles?
2. What did John of Toul pledge to do if the
Count of Grandpere had a conflict with the
Count of Champagne?
• Peasants were serfs (bound to the land)
• System of mutual obligations
• It was hard to be a peasant
1. Describe the main ideas of this illustration.
What does it show about serfdom?
1. In what ways was the manor a self-sufficient
The Medieval Church
• The church provided order, stability and help
• Some people became monks and dedicated
themselves to serving others
• Gave hope that at least in Heaven things
would get better
1. For how many years is this agreement good?
2. What are some reasons that Ouede Ferconne
might want to buy Michael’s freedom after
1. What two positions are Londoners able to fill
with people of their choice?
2. What does the charter say about taxes?
3. What special rights do Londoners gain
through this charter?