Kathleen M. Davis
Senior Global Brand Advisor
• Upwards of 50 million trademarks worldwide
• 35K international tm applications were received
in 2009 by WIPO
• Examples of tm’s filed on the rise - EU + 3.1%;
Republic of Korea +33.9%; Singapore +20.5%;
Croatia +17.5% and Hungary +14.5%.
• Developing countries accounted for 1,973 filings
in 2009, representing 5.6% of total filings
To Watch or Not to Watch
• To watch - the only option that can help ensure
against possible infringement and dilution that
can damage your brand.
• Be proactive about protecting the equity in your
brands. Failure to oppose can have significant
consequences to your business strategy.
• Keep track of your competitor’s new trademark
filings as part of business intelligence.
CSC’s Approach To Watch
• CSC pulls together global sources to notify
brand owners of trademarks that may be
confusingly similar to your brand.
• Requires knowledge of what may be deemed
confusingly similar both phonetically & visually.
• Our trademark watch includes word marks,
designs/logos and slogans.
• The results are reviewed and selected by an
experienced trademark analyst
• Track status from filing to registration
• Both Date & Days to oppose notification
• US and Worldwide coverage
• Company Name Watching
• State and Common Law Watching
Even though it is beach season. . .
• Be alert!
• Be vigilant!
• Use monitoring tools!
Questions & Answers
To ask a question, please type your inquiry
into the Q&A panel in the upper
left-hand side of your screen
• Privately-held, 110+ year old company headquartered in
• CSC operates offices in the US, Canada, Germany,
France and the UK and employs over 1,000 people
• CSC is the only provider that combines domain
management, trademark clearance and brand
monitoring solutions to help Corporations such as the
Global 2000 Secure, Promote & Protect their Corporate
• Check out CSC on:
For more information about how CSC can help you protect your
brands, please email WebSeminars@CSCInfo.com