Do You Know if your
Entities Are in Compliance?
Too Many Annual Reports to File,
Too Little Time
Jennifer K. Mailander
About Maureen Cathell
• Workflow Coordinator for the Annual Report and
Business License Departments.
• 26 year tenure with Corporation Service
Company; focused in Corporate Compliance and
• Responsible for developing processes and
procedures for Annual Reports and Business
Licenses based on customer's needs and State
About Jennifer Mailander
• Attorney and Product Manager with Corporation
• Extensive experience in corporate and
commercial law, compliance and risk
• Maintains key relationships with law firms,
strategic partners, clients, and industry
• What is an Annual Report?
• Why do I have to file one?
• Will I be notified when my Annual Report is due?
• Why is e-filing of Annual Reports encouraged?
• Every company wants to improve the efficiency
and cost-effectiveness of managing its Annual
Report filings, but what’s the best way?
What is an Annual Report?
• In most states, companies who do business in
that state are required to file Annual Reports to
maintain their good standing status
• There are a variety of names for these annual
– Annual Report
– Franchise tax report
– Biannual status
– Listing of officers
• What’s required in these reports?
– Varies by state
– Officer & Director
– Updated address
– Sometimes financial information
Annual Report Requirements
• Not every state requires Annual Reports
– There are 6 that require no filing with the SOS
• AL, MD, OH, PA, SC, TX
• Not every state allows for electronic filing
• What happens if I don’t file?
– It’s not pretty!
• When are my Annual Reports due?
– AR, DE, IL, WI – based on issued shares and assets.
– NM – filings are odd and even years.
Annual Reports v. Business Licenses
• Annual Report
– Typically required for companies that do business in a
– Entities file Annual Reports to maintain their good
standing in a state
• Business Licenses
– Dependent upon your business and industry
– Almost all companies must maintain some type of
license to operate a business
– Companies might be required to file at the federal,
state, county or municipal levels of government
– The U.S. has over 150,000 state and local licensing
offices that might have licensing requirements
CSC Annual Report Preparation &
• When you utilize CSC Annual Report
Preparation & Filing services, CSC…
– Conducts an initial audit of the status of all your
entities in every jurisdiction
– Updates your entity information in our web based
Entity Management system
– Prepares Annual Report forms on your behalf, file the
required documents, and advance state fees directly
to the Secretary of State
– Invoices you with one fee per entity, per jurisdiction
– Maintains strong working relationships with SOS
Stress-free Annual Report
Compliance with CSC
• CSC prepares the Annual Report paperwork
approximately 30 days prior to the deadline.
– If a form requires your signature, we send you the
paperwork to sign, you return to us and we file it.
• Once we complete an Annual Report filing, we
confirm to you that we’ve satisfied the
requirement for you.
• We also conduct an annual entity audit for all
customers of the ARP&F service.
– This audit ensures the continued good standing of all
your entities in every jurisdiction where you do
Bringing it All Together with CSC
• How does CSC manage the Annual Report
• We rely on the CSC Entity Management tool:
– Data management
– Document management
Why You Should Outsource Annual
Report Preparation and Filing
• What’s the benefit of having CSC do my Annual Report
preparation and filing?
– Many states are no longer sending Annual Report notifications
• Easy to accidently fall out of compliance
– You can stop tracking each state’s Annual Report filing
• For many companies, this process is managed by a person who has
3-4 other jobs
– You can stop worrying about researching and identifying the
requirements in each jurisdiction you must file in
– You can stop keeping track of what states now accept electronic
– Avoid paying reinstatement fees, penalties, interest, and even the
cost of cutting and mailing checks
– You can reduce the risk of missed filings and loss of good
– CSC saves you valuable time, money and scarce resources.
• Privately-held, 110+ year old company headquartered in
• CSC operates offices in the US, Canada, Germany, France and
the UK and employs over 1,000 people worldwide
• CSC is dedicated reducing risks and costs for our clients by
providing Corporate Governance & Compliance Services,
Corporate Identity Protection Services, Litigation & Matter
Management Services and Deal & Transaction Support Services.
• The CSC suite of Corporate Governance & Compliance Services
– Registered Agent Services
– Annual Report Preparation & Filing
– Business Licenses, Permits & Tax Registrations
– Web-based entity management system including compliance calendar
– Corporate Entity Tracking
For more information about CSC, please email