Digital Certificates 101
Corporation Service Company
• Market Overview
• SSL Features – A Technical Summary
• SSL Validation Process
• Key Benefits & Value
• CSC Digital Certificates
• Through 2009, 192 Million domain names had
• Total valid third party SSL certificates now
exceeds one million2
• Approximately 1.5% of domains have an active
• This equates to over 2,880,000 active digital
• In 2009, the average cost per incident of a data
breach in the United States was $6.75 million3
• Reported costs of lost business ranged from
$750,000 to $31 million3
1 - Verisign Domain Name Industry Report 2007-2009 2 - The Netcraft SSL Server Survey - http://www.netcraft.com/
3 - Symantec Global Internet Security Threat Report Trends for 2009 (Volume XV, Published April 2010)
The Netcraft SSL Server Survey - http://www.netcraft.com/
What is SSL?
• SSL is an acronym for Secure Sockets Layer.
• Global standard security technology developed
by Netscape in 1994.
• Creates an encrypted link between a web server
and a web browser.
• Ensures that all data remains private and secure.
• Recognized by consumers via a padlock icon in
their web browser:
What is SSL?
• Provide assurance to your customers that their
data cannot be tampered with or forged.
• Ensure that your customer's sensitive data is
transmitted securely with the strongest available
• Gain competitive advantage by appearing more
trusted and more legitimate.
What is SSL encryption?
• SSL Encryption (or https://)is a technique used to
safeguard private information which is sent via the
• To prove a website's legitimacy, the SSL encryption
uses PKI (Public Key Infrastructure) - public/private
key, to encrypt IDs, documents, or messages to
securely transmit the information over the Internet.
Why Do I Need SSL on My Site?
• Using a High Assurance certificate will assure
– That the web site really is who it claims to be.
– That credit card numbers are encrypted.
– Data sent and received cannot be tampered with.
What do people use it for?
• Business and application areas include:
– Website login forms
– Online retail
– Online brokerage
– Payment gateway services
– Online banking
– Charity donations
The Validation Process
• CA/Browser Forum guidelines
– Legal existence
– Registration number
– Right to use domain name
– Authorization for EV certificate
Key Benefits & Value
• Trust - Extended Validation adds an additional
layer of trust through authentication of the
• Security - Data transmitted will not be
compromised with SSL
• Competitive business advantage
CSC Digital Certificates
• Full suite of SSL certificates on offer (1,2 or 3 yr
– Premium SSL Certificate
– Premium Wildcard SSL Certificate
– Unified Communications Certificate (UCC)
– Extended Validation (EV) SGC SSL Certificate
• Complimentary SSL audit
• SSL portfolio management tool
• Dedicated Account Manager
• 24/7 support
• Use SSL certificates to add security/value to your
• Protect your main websites/domains.
• Audit your current certificates
• Standardize domain WHOIS.
• Consolidate and reduce costs.
• Ensure your certificates are up to date.
• Privately-held, 110+ year old company headquartered in Wilmington,
• CSC operates offices in the US, Canada, Germany, France and the UK
and employs over 1,000 people worldwide
• CSC is dedicated reducing risks and costs for our clients by providing:
– Corporate Governance & Compliance Services
– Corporate Identity Protection Services
– Litigation & Matter Management Services
– Deal & Transaction Support Services.
• The CSC suite of Corporate Identity Protection services includes:
– Trademark Screening, Searching and Watching
– Internet Brand Monitoring
– Domain Name Registration, Management and Monitoring
• CSC is the trusted partner of 47 of the Top 100 Best Global Brands* for
global domain name registration and management
For more information about how CSC can help you protect
your brands, please email WebSeminars@CSCInfo.com
* As ranked in the Interbrand® 2007 Best Global Brands Report