Ch.41 – Cooperative Program
Crisis Leads to CPEarly 1900’s were a financial  struggle for the SBC• US in post-WWI recession• Churches & Agencies in De...
The Drawback of SocietalMissions• Imbalance in the pulpit  – Fund-raising guest speakers   took up to 20 Sundays per year•...
Reshaping SBC Giving• The year is 1919 and the players:  – J.B. Gambrell – President of SBC  – Louie Newton – influential ...
Historic Success• Growth  – 1941 – 4 million dollars  – 1961 – 50 million dollars  – 1996 – 409 million dollars  – 2005 – ...
How CP is SpentEach state convention determines a percentage of  CP receipts that will be sent to the SBC  Executive Commi...
Today’s Challenges• Generational fragmentation• Rising church debt• Church-driven local/global missions• National organiza...
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

Ch.41 the cooperative program of the sbc

463 views

Published on

Published in: Spiritual, Business
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
463
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
7
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
6
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Ch.41 the cooperative program of the sbc

  1. 1. Ch.41 – Cooperative Program
  2. 2. Crisis Leads to CPEarly 1900’s were a financial struggle for the SBC• US in post-WWI recession• Churches & Agencies in Debt• Societal approach with “special appeals” hurting overall mission efforts
  3. 3. The Drawback of SocietalMissions• Imbalance in the pulpit – Fund-raising guest speakers took up to 20 Sundays per year• Poor strategic impact – Pathos determined level of support – Skill in appeal overshadowed strategic importance
  4. 4. Reshaping SBC Giving• The year is 1919 and the players: – J.B. Gambrell – President of SBC – Louie Newton – influential pastor – L.R. Scarborough – President of SWBTS• The plan – “75 Million Campaign” – Pledges of 92 million dollars in five years – Receipts of 58 million dollars – Near the total giving of the entire previous history of the SBC
  5. 5. Historic Success• Growth – 1941 – 4 million dollars – 1961 – 50 million dollars – 1996 – 409 million dollars – 2005 – 522 million dollars
  6. 6. How CP is SpentEach state convention determines a percentage of CP receipts that will be sent to the SBC Executive Committee for distribution to SBC entities.• In 2005 the average amount of CP used for state convention ministries was 62.5 percent of total CP receipts.• The remainder, roughly 37.5 percent, was forwarded to the SBC for national and worldwide ministries.• Messengers to the 2006 meeting of the Southern Baptist Convention held in Greensboro, NC approved the SBC CP Allocation Budget for 2006-2007 of $195,948,423• The long-hoped-for, never realized goal is a 50-50 split
  7. 7. Today’s Challenges• Generational fragmentation• Rising church debt• Church-driven local/global missions• National organizational complacency• Lack of compelling NA vision• Rise of special offerings for SBC agencies• Competing visions from influential leadersTo our shame, money and power still drive much of what we say and do rather than a prayerfully derived consensus concerning the will of God

×