http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gec1CMN6h0c Water pollution in China 3 min vid
Watch short 3 min video on Ganges River http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeNSOg5XJh4
Unit 4 ex 5
Sec 1 geog unit 4 lesson 4
Chong Boon Secondary
Sec 1 Geography
Unit 4 Lesson 4
Causes of water shortage
•What causes water
are the big uses of
• In this lesson, you will
–Identify the reasons for global
Factors that cause water shortage
• There are two main categories of
• Factors that lead to man seeking more
• Factors that affect the availability of
water to meet the demands by man.
• Population Growth
– As global population increases, the total amount
of water demanded increases.
– Global Population has increased from 1.6 billion in
1900 to 3.1 billion in 1960 and to 7 billion in 2014.
– Most of the population increase is in Less
Developed Countries (LDCs)
– These are where there is also the largest water
–Having wealth and being able to live
–Developed countries tend to be affluent.
–Affluent countries consume more water
due to the lifestyle of the people there.
–With more money, people consume goods
that are produced using more water and
live a lifestyle that consumes more water.
• Seasonal rainfall
–Countries with variation in rainfall will
face water supply issues.
–Seasonal rains (monsoons) bring large
rainfall in small pockets of the year.
–Seasonal rains also lead to dry seasons
where there is minimal rain.
–Singapore does not have such
Global Climate Change
• Global climate change will result in
change in seasonal rain.
• Intensity and timing of seasonal
rains are affected by global climate
• With Global warming, some areas
have less water while others suffer
• Water Pollution
–Pollution is the introduction of substances
into the natural environment (air, water,
–With pollution, water quality will drop. If it
becomes unusable for humans, total water
source will be reduced.
The Ganges River
• Largest river in India
• Used by over 400 million people
• Used for drinking, bathing and
irrigation, spiritual significance.
• Industrial waste dumpsite.