Sec 1 Geography
1. Where can we find
2. Reasons for
3. Measures to lower
impact of deforestation.
Global distribution of
•Over 320 sq km of rainforests
disappear each day.
•Deforestation occurs at all places
where we find rainforests.
•Key areas include the Amazon
Basin and Indonesia.
Key causes for deforestation
•Need for space
• Residential purposes
•Need for resources
•With development, more space is
needed to house the increasing
•Cities grow into the surrounding
•Rainforest often suffer as
conservation is not taken to be as
important as development.
• Subsistence Agriculture
• Farming solely for the purpose of
• Tribal communities and small
• Deforests small plots of land to feed
• Commercial Agriculture
• Large-scale farming for profit
• Big companies buying/renting land from
• Destruction of large areas of rainforests
• Replacement of rainforest with grass to
allow for grazing
• Replacement of rainforest with
commercial crops like Soy Beans /
Sugarcane / Corn / Oil Palm
• Raising of cattle on large farms.
• 80% of amazon deforestation is for cattle
• Most beef produced is exported to USA
• Overseas demand leading to local
•The cutting down of timber
•High demand of wood for
furniture, firewood and
•Demand in Developed Countries
(DCs) push the supply from the
Less Developed Countries (LDCs).
•Extraction of precious metals and
• Gold, Copper, Tin, Diamonds, etc
•Forests above the mines are cleared.
•Forests leading to the mines are
cleared for road construction to
transport equipment into the mines
and the materials out of the mine.
Turn to Pg 96 Now!
•Read the news article on Pg
•From the article, what are the
causes of deforestation?
•What is the relationship
between deforestation and
‘people moving into cities’ ?
Get into pairs / groups of 2 to 4
•Send 1 representative to collect some
•You have 10 minutes to discuss and
write down your answers on the cards
•We will display the cards at the back
of the room later.