Explain about the Earth as a closed system. Generally there’s no addition or materials barring asteriod hits and no loss except space junk. (inject humour)NOTE: if you use up this earth, you’re not able to go hop onto the next earth…
Sec 1 geog unit 1 lesson 1
Chong Boon Secondary School
Department of Humanities
Sec One Geography
Unit 1: Introducing Geography
Prepared by Mr Kelwin Koh
The COPY STAR
• When you see the COPY STAR on the slide, you
have to write down all the information.
Key Thinking Questions
• What is Geography?
• Why is Geography Important?
• What are the tools for learning
What is Geography
• Latin Words Geo (Earth) and
• Geography is the study of the Earth
What about Earth do we exactly study?
• Everything on earth is studied in
• The Physical Environment (Nature)
• The Human Environment (Man)
• The Physical – Human relationships
– How does the Physical affect the Human
Environment and vice versa
Why is Geography Important?
• We all live on planet Earth.
• We are currently unable to move to
another planet to survive efficiently.
• To ensure the long term survival of
humans on earth, we need to study it.
• Remember, we live in a ‘closed system’
Greenhead, from planet 159 X was going to
Mars to visit its friend
On his way to Mars, he saw a planet that looked
really special. That planet was called earth……
Can you identify
which is Earth and
which is Mars?
Feeling curious, he decided to
explore Earth and study
What is geography?
The study of Earth, including land and the
people living on it. Earth surface consist of land
As Greenhead explored earth, this was what he saw....
Can you identify which picture belong to the natural environment and
which belongs to the human environment?
Name: ___________________________ (
) Class:_______ Date:_____________
What is geography?
The study of ___________, including ________
and the__________ living on it. Earth surface
consist of ___________and ____________.
Can you identify which picture
belong to the natural environment
and which belongs to the human
Human environment- _____________________
• Study for your pre-test
• Pg 6-10 of your textbook.