James Madison, John Jay, Alexander Hamilton
Wealthier merchants bankers, lawyers, manufacturers, plantation owners.
Wanted more power at the federal level than the states
The Constitution was set up to protect rights of the people and the people
should NOT worry.
Supported a National Bank to help build the economy
Liked a STRONG Central (federal, national) Government that would united
Thought there was no need for a Bill of Rights
Supported the Constitution the way it was written
• Leaders wrote “The Federalists’ Papers” to Explain the Constitution.
• Patrick Henry, George Mason, Thomas Jefferson
• Farmers, tradesmen, lower classes
• More power at the state level and not the Federal
– Thought the President would act like a King
• States would be better at protecting the rights of the
• Opposed a National Bank – Too much power
• If central government was too strong, it would over
• WHERE ARE THE RIGHTS OF THE PEOPLE?!
– Wanted a Bill of Rights added to the Constitution
• Did not support the Constitution the way it was written