a low-level Petri net analyzer
Who is this “LoLA”?
• a low-level Petri net analyzer
• everything is based on Petri nets
• low level: N = [P, T, F, V, m0 ]
• an explicit state space veriﬁcation tool
• a model checker
Petri net “Yes!”
predicate place sERvice-TeChNoLoGy.org
3 x t
LoLA is lazy modest
• partial order reduction
• symmetry reduction smaller
• sweep line statespace
• cycle reduction
• invariant compression smaller markings
• structural reduction
LoLA is focused
• Be as speciﬁc as possible!
• Rather check 1000 small state spaces than
one that is too big.
• Know your problem and the theory (sorry)!
• Performance, performance, performance.
• User-experience... But there is ProM...
LoLA is versatile
asynchronous hardware circuits
IBM business processes
BPEL service choreographies
cellular biology reaction chains
business rule compliance
LoLA is sound
• Naive: AGEF ﬁnal state
• Petri netty: short circuited net is live + bound
1. check liveness of ﬁnal marking
2. check boundedness for all places
(safety for free choice)
LoLA is fast
• 33,000 - 100,000 states per second
• 42,000 - 120,000 transitions per second
• 450 - 800 MB per minute
• soundness: 4 ms per process
• bottleneck: memory allocation, I/O
LoLA has many friends
• The Petri Net Kernel
• The Model Checking Kit
• the sisters: Fiona, Wendy, Marlene, and Mia
• soon: ProM, Oryx