The key to employee happiness
Because I’m happy!
• September 2014 saw the announcement that Pharrell William’s hit
song “Happy” was the UK’s most downloaded track of all time! No
surprise, really, given the upbeat, feel-good tune and the positive
message the song promotes.
• After all, we all want to feel happy as much as possible, so we’re very
likely to embrace anything that helps us to feel that way. Likewise, we
are very likely to try to avoid anything that makes us feel less than
• It’s a message that most employers would do well to heed if they want
to maintain a consistent and productive workforce.
• Happiness in the workplace has a huge impact on staff morale and
even a company’s profitability.
• After all, it costs less to invest in and retain current staff than it does to
advertise, recruit for and train new employees!
• So how can companies keep their workforce feeling happy and in the
mood for working?
• Communication is a really important point, be it informing your
employees about company developments or actively asking for input
when it comes to policy making.
• This sort of interaction makes employees feel that their views are
worthwhile and it doesn’t cost a penny!
• Feeling valued is a big contributor to happiness.
• Whereas allowing your staff to hear important news on the grapevine
will leave them feeling underappreciated and even suspicious.
• Similarly acknowledging good performance goes a long way toward
• Today it is common for people to put in long hours and lots of effort to
prove themselves at work, and a lack of recognition can cause
• This can negatively impact staff morale; if peers see effort going
unnoticed it is likely to discourage them from trying hard.
• Recognition doesn’t even need to cost. It can be as simple as making
an announcement to demonstrate appreciation for an accomplishment
• Recognizing somebody’s hard work will only make them feel happy.
• Of course there are other ways to recognise your staff’s dedication.
• Implementing simple perks into the workplace not only rewards staff for
hard work, but encourages them to work harder if they want an award.
• A win-win situation for both employer and employee!
• Whether it’s sports tickets, shopping vouchers, or even a weekend away
– this sort of incentive really drives staff to perform and keeps them
feeling happy and valued at the same time.
• It could even be a regular event in the office, such as laying on a
takeaway lunch for a high-performing team each month.
• All of these ideas promote positive feeling in the office and keep staff
• Rewards can also help to boost work-life balance, which is at the
forefront of everybody’s thinking these days.
• We all spend a great deal of time at work, so we want time spent at
home to be enjoyable and as lengthy as possible.
• Rewards that help staff to spend quality time with family, be it a meal
out or an extra day of holiday, will also be a popular choice and help
to keep staff feeling happy.
• Working for a company that demonstrates an understanding of work-life
balance is becoming an increasingly enviable thing and will make
your staff want to stick around.
• From a work perspective, development and career progression are
enormously important when it comes to staff satisfaction.
• Having no clear path can be both dispiriting and demotivating as it
can seem as though there’s nothing to work towards.
• This sort of unhappiness will make for a very unproductive workforce
and have a detrimental effect on any business.
• Simply implementing regular reviews, with achievable targets in place
can successfully combat this.
• Employees with constant goals to strive for and regular opportunities
to obtain praise and recognition will naturally be happier.
• All of these ideas can help your company atmosphere to be happy
and positive, creating an appealing environment for your workforce.
• Happiness breeds happiness, so the more of your staff who are
cheerful and upbeat, the better.
• It is sure to have a knock-on effect across the workforce so that you
hopefully end up with ubiquitous positivity and a seriously desirable
• If you are looking for some help in ensuring your employees are
happy and engaged, talk to us today for our ideas on how we can
create a tailored solution for you.
• Alternatively, request a free demonstration on the product and service
we can offer, that will work for you.
Find out more
Tweet us @CorpRewards
Connect with us corporate-rewards-uk
Call us 0370 405 2020
Email us email@example.com
Let’s start the conversation