Why do we need biodiversity?
We need high levels of
biodiversity for clean
air, food, fresh water,
clothes, energy and
life for humans would
be both dull and
Threats to Biodiversity
Humans have been damaging our biosphere
and ecosystems, which is affecting our
What has happened in these pictures below?
Although humans have been changing the
Australian landscape for 50,000 years or more,
the changes in the last 200 years have caused
a terrible loss of soil, vegetation and
This sounds bad! What on earth are we
humans doing to cause all this?
What are humans doing…
• Pollution • Deforestation
• Climate change
Tips for helping biodiversity
• Use less stuff!
• Plant native plants in your garden - good for the birds, butterflies
and bees, and good for the soil!
• Pollute less by driving less, buying less and wasting less and
thinking about what you’re flushing down the drain!
• Buy organic fruit and veggies if you can - these haven’t been
sprayed with chemicals that can harm biodiversity!
• Lock up your pets at night - the night belongs to native animals!
• Donate some time to vegetating or cleaning up a local wildlife
• Choose sustainably harvested fish to have with your chips!
• Spread the word!
• For more tips and more information on biodiversity visit the Cool
Australia site (www.coolaustralia.org).
1. What is biodiversity?
2. Why do we need high levels of
3. What are humans doing to influence
4. What is your favorite weird and wonderful
creature? Is it likely to become extinct?