Appealing to Kids and Adults: Marketing Lessons from Boy Bands
to Kids and
Boy bands like One Direction and The
Wanted are making a splash in today’s
music scene, and not just with teen girls.
• These bands embrace a range of marketing tools
that help them appeal to a diverse audience.
• Businesses can engage the same tools, because
when it comes to great marketing, there is no age
Tip #1: Be
• Boy bands are the masters of
being cool while acting cute.
This sets fans at ease and helps
them to form a connection
with the band.
• Businesses can embrace a
similar model by working to
care for clients, rather than
– Putting caring first creates a
loyal customer base that
consistently returns for
great customer service.
Tip #2: Embrace Social Media
• Boy bands are active on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram,
and more. Fans build personalized relationships with
bands through these frequent updates.
• Businesses with a strong social media presence stand out
from the pack because they build these personal
– Try posting Instagram photos of new products or tweeting about
the funny thing your coworker said, and don’t forget to keep an
updated Facebook page!
Tip #3: Diversify Your Brand
• a. Boy bands members all share an aesthetic, but any teen girl
can tell you who is the flirt and who is the athlete.
– By playing up different personalities, band members draw in different
girls while staying true to their brand.
• Businesses should focus on expanding their market while still
keeping a consistent focus.
– Stay focused, but understand the subtlety of variation.
Tip #4: Reinvent the Classics
• One Direction is just the newest iteration in a long line of boy
bands like N’Sync and the Backstreet Boys. And older bands,
like New Kids On The Block, are even touring again.
• Businesses shouldn’t overlook older products and trends.
Customers love a little nostalgia, turning reissued or modified
classics into new, exciting hits.
Boy bands are one of the latest old trends
that have become new again. With these
marketing tips, businesses can refresh
their public image in the same way.
• What other trends do
you see coming
• How do we keep
becoming just out of