The Big NYC Game
An augmented reality game for NYC by New Yorkers
Discussion Moderated by Ori Inbar
AR Dev Camp NYC @Topp
Dec 5th 2009
What is it?
• Location-based - right here in NYC!
• Social - viral, for everyone
• Augmented Reality - cool!
A collaborative, open-source,
game development project
Swarm of Angels
open source feature ﬁlm, and participatory ﬁlmmaking community.
A new kind of ﬁlm process and movement pioneering extreme collaboration & digitally-native cinema.
With members now in the four ﬁgures we are reconﬁguring our web presence to
simplify involvement and clarify all the project developments.
...and on going after that
...then expand to other cities
What’s the Purpose
Make NYC better
• get people to shop locally
• learning about the history of the city
• Make NYC greener (e.g. get points for green transportation)
• Leave Manhattan (get to know the other boroughs)
• AR Software & devices - Tish, Noah, Sophia, Omar, Steve’s students
• Game mechanics, link to social networks - Chris
• Design, Story - Jon, Ralph
• Promotion, sponsors, Government relationships, non proﬁt - Don, Ralph
• Legal (IP) - Zeke
• Sensors: GPS+compass, markers, NFT, PTAM,
face detection, Sketch AR, ...
• Focus on mature AR tools
• Crowd source marker tagging around the city
• T-shirt markers
• iPhone, Android phones, Symbian, Win Mo
• any camera phone (MMS)
• cell phones + sms
• mini laptops + AR goggles
• Loc: Quest, treasure hunt - across the city
• AR: visual interaction
• Social: pick a role and gang up to advance
• Mini games. prizes
• Introduce AR concepts - step by step
• ﬁnd hidden markers by using social networks
• put together several markers in a certain location + more folks - ﬁts any
• capture the ﬂag, turn of the century (history), mystery
• user generated game based on the game infrastructure and story line
• teach users to create AR games
• cover the city with QR codes and markers
• Start playing individually and converge into teams
(everyone can ﬁnd a role to play, no matter what tech they have)
• easter eggs - to incentivize people to explore new locations in the city
• References: The following, e.g. Green Edge