Who was Eddie Bernays?
• Father of Public Relations and is best known for using Freudian
ideals to persuade the masses
• Born in Vienna but raised in New York
• His mother is the sister of Sigmund Freud (Famous
• His father was the brother of Freud’s wife
• Attended Cornell University
• Started work as an editor for a medical review
• Endorsed the risqué play Damaged Goods
• Created a “buzz” around the play using some techniques
• Attempted to enlist in the army but was denied
• Instead put his skills to use for the war campaign
A Little Sigmund, A Little Bernays, Equals Success…
• American Tobacco Company wanted tap into the female
• Used psychoanalytical information to market
• Created a headline “Torches of Freedom”
• “Silent Cal” needed to warm up his cold demeanor
• Organized a celebrity breakfast
• Bacon it’s what’s for breakfast
• Consulted physicians with one question survey
• Published in magazines that doctors recommend eggs and
The Bernays Legacy
• The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects public relations specialists
employment growth of 23 percent between 2010 and 2020.
• Edelman firm makes over $600 million annually, has over 4,800 employees
and over 67 offices worldwide.
• Companies like Amazon use your purchase history to recommend products
• Celebrity endorsement (automobiles, fashion, and insurance etc.)
• Obama campaign which painted him as the “hope” America needed.
The father of PR
Persuaded the public opinion
Combined his techniques with his uncle’s
Extremely successful and spawned a new professional
Public relations has evolved but would not have been
where it is today had it not been for Eddie
So keep in mind what your being told and why!