According to the legend, the history of Białystokbegan in 1320, when Lithuanian princeGiedymin, was on an aurochs hunt in the woods.While he was resting over a stream, he was restinghave said:,,A clear,white ,,stok’’. You could build ahuting court here or even set a village”.Today, ,,stok’’ means in Polsih ,,slope”, but inthose days ,,stok” was a small brook that runsdown the hill. The brook is here also today, knownas the Biała River(the White River).
Białystok,with its nearly 300 thousand inhabitants, isthe biggest city of north-eastern Poland and the capital of Podlasian Province. It plays a role ofadministative, economic, scientific and cultural centre of this part of the country, which, owing to its unique ecological assets, is called Its location in a region that is ecologically clean and full of tourist attractions; its wellldeveloped infrastructure makes Białystok and its surroundings an attractive place to live in, rest and develop tourism .
Podlasian regional cuisine is well knownin all other parts of Poland. It is here thatone may try the best potato kishka andbabka; Korycin cheese or such delicaciesof the Taar cuisine as: pierekaczewnikand listkowiec.
Bialystok is the largest cultural center in the north-eastern Poland. Itworks in the Museum of the largest in the province of Podlaskie, withbranches in Białystok (Historical Museum, the Museum of Sculpture Alfons Karny, Bialystok Village Museum). In Bialystok, there are also: Army Museum and the Museum of Natural History, University of Bialystok. There s also one of the best Polish contemporary artgallery - Gallery Arsenal. The second gallery is a municipal gallery to them. Sleńdzińskich, Poland has the largest collection of art andmemorabilia archive Polish family of artists from Vilnius. In addition, working here 19 private art galleries. In Bialystok operates several libraries. The biggest of these is Książnica Podlaska and University Library. The elderly and the disabled free use of the Library Foundation for Education and Creativity, which offer the service "phone book" dedicated to those who are not able to reach out personally to hire. Other culturalinstitutions include the Białostocki Cultural Centre, Cultural CentreOrthodox, the Center for Esperanto. Ludwik Zamenhof, the House of Culture "Downtown", Provincial Center of Cultural Animation and Youth Culture
The city is, and has been for centuries, the main hub of transportation for the Podlaskie Voivodeship and the entire northeastern section of Poland. It is a major city on the European Union roadways (Via Baltica) and railways (Rail Baltica) to the Baltic Republics and Finland. It is also a main gateway of trade with Belarus due to its proximity to the border and its current and longstanding relationship with Hrodno, Belarus. Passenger trains do connect fromSuvalki, Hrodno and Lithuania to Warsaw and the rest of the European passenger network. An extensive public transportation system is provided within the city by three bus services, but no tram or subway exists. A civil airport, Białystok-Krywlany Airport, lies within the city limits, but does not provide regularly-scheduled service. There are plans to build a new regional airport, Białystok-Saniki Airport, in the next few years that will provide flights within Europe.
Branicki Palace is a historicaledifice in Białystok, Poland. Itwas turned in the first half of the18th century by its owner JanKlemens Branicki, a wealthyPolish–LithuanianCommonwealth hetman, into aresidence suitable for a pearsonwhose ambition was to becomeking of Poland. The palacecomplex with gardens, pavillons,sculptures, outbuildings and otherstructures and the city withchurches, city hall and monastery,all built almost at the same timeaccording to French models wasthe reason why the city wasknown in the 18th century asVersailles de Podlachie (Versaillesof Podlaskie) .
Church of Saint Roch issituated on the end of LipowaStreet. It was built in 1946.
Cathedral wasbulit is locatednear RynekKościuszki andTown Hall. Itwas built inNeo-GothicStyle in 1761.
Town Hall is situatedon town square, nearKościół Farny. It has abeautyful fountain inthe centre.
It is on Lipowa Street infront of Cristal Hotel. InBiałystok there is about1000 orthodox people(30% of all inhabitians).
Białystok lies on 7 hills, just like Rome Białystok dialect is called „śledzikowanie”32% of the city constitutes the green areas _ The Green City, where two nature reserves are located: Las Zwierzyniecki and AntoniukIn Bialystok there are: 7 hypermarkets, 27 supermarkets, 9 shopping malls (Galeria Biała, Alfa, two Auchan,Kwadrat, Podlaska, Zielone Wzgórza, Galeria M, Galeria Antoniukowska), 19 electronic stores, supermarkets construction and decoration.
o”Biała”- it’s on Miłosza street. There’s’’Real’’- hypermarket; bowling club withbilliards; ’’Helios’’- cinema with 8 rooms.There are 96 shops.o’’Alfa’’- it’s on corner Świętojańska andMickiewicza street. There are more than 140shops.
oHelios in mall ’’Alfa’’ and ’’Biała”-they’re the newest and the most moderncinemas in Białystok. Helios is verypopular so most of people pick thatcinema to spend their free time.
It’s older than Helios and less popular butsome people go there to watch films which aremore ambitious.That cinema has only one room so it isn’tgood. It makes that you can’t see therequeues.
o We haven’t got many theaters in Białystok, only 2 but they’re good.o A. Węgierka’s theater is from 1938 so it’s old. This theater is the biggest in region. The building is really beautiful. It’s near Braniccy’s Palac.
oPuppet theater is mainly for children butadults go there too. It’s on Kalinowskiegostreet. It has been active since 1953. Thestage is quite big.
oMk Bowlin ( in Biała mall )oKula Hula on Jurowiecka streetoKręgielnia on Elewatorska street
oMOSiR on Mazowiecka Street oMOSiR on Stroma Street
oAqua Park Tropikana in the GołębiewskiHotel. There are 3 jacuzzi, salt grotto, icegrotto, 3 saunas and pool with unnaturalwaves.
Aeroclub Bialystok Academic Yacht Club Automobile club Bialystok Football School „Jagiellonia” Bialystok affiliating the "Aikido" Podlaski Club of Basketball "ŻUBRY” Affiliating Skatepark GARAŻ Bialystok Sports Club„Jagiellonia” Bialystok Yacht Club „BYK” Integration sports club „ Victory ” in Bialystok LOK- Shooting Club „GROT” Poland Federation of the American football in Bialystok Sailing club „Bowsprit” Sports Club „Cristal
o Sport Halls1. KS sports hall textile worker2. Sports hall of the Medical higher education in Białystok3. Sports hall of the Białystok technical university o Stadiums and courts 1. Football stadium municipal. 2. Football courts municipal 3. Athletics stadium of Municipal sports and recreation centre 4. Football MOSP Jagiellonia courts Białystok 5. Football KS court textile worker 6. Training MOSiR court
o Sports Shooting Ranges1. Team of Metal-timber Schools2. Team of Mechanical Schools3. The V comprehensive secondary school o Municipal Swimming Pools1. Swimming pool No. 12. Swimming pool No. 23. Swimming pool No. 34. MOS swimming pool o Artificial Skate Rink1. Skating rink of a Municipal sports and recreation centre
o Water Sports1. Centre of water sports in Dojlidach, Municipal sports and recreation centre o Airport1. Base of the Bialystok flying club o Tennis courts1. TT tennis courts Stanley2. PTT tennis courts Smash3. Tennis courts of a Municipal sports and recreation centre4. Tennis Courts „Richi”
Warsaw is the capital and largest city of Poland. It is locatedon the Vistula River roughly 260 kilometers from the BalticSea and 300 kilometers from the Carpathian Mountains. Itspopulation as of June 2010 was estimated at 1,716,855, andthe Warsaw metropolitan area at approximately 2,785,000.The city area is 516.9 square kilometers , with anagglomeration of 6,100.43 square kilometers . Warsaw is the9th largest city in the European Union by population.
Warsaws name in the Polishlanguage, Warszawa. Folketymology attributes the cityname to a fisherman Warsand his wife Sawa.According to legend, Sawawas a mermaid living in theVistula River who Wars fellin love with. The official cityname in full is The CapitalCity of Warsaw.
Warsaw is also known as the During World War II, central"phoenix city", as it recovered Poland, including Warsaw, camefrom extensive damage during under the rule of the GeneralWorld War II (during which Government, a German Nazi80% of its buildings were colonial administration. All higherdestroyed), being rebuilt with education institutions werethe effort of Polish citizens. immediately closed and Warsaws entire Jewish population – several hundred thousand, some 30% of the city – herded into the Warsaw Ghetto. In 1945, after the bombing, the revolts, the fighting, and the demolition had ended, most of Warsaw lay in ruins.
Warsaws mixture of architectural styles reflects the turbulent history of the city and country. During World War II, Warsaw was razed to the ground by bombing raids and planned destruction. After liberation, rebuilding began as in other cities of the communist-ruled PRL. Most of the historical buildings were thoroughly reconstructed.Warsaws palaces, churches and mansions display a richness of color and architecturaldetails. Buildings are representatives of nearly every European architecturalstyle and historical period. The city has wonderful examples of architecturefrom the gothic, renaissance, baroque and neoclassical periods, all of whichare located within easy walking distance of the town centre.
In Warsaw is the highest 4-facedclock tower in the world. Its fourfaces are each 6 m indiameter, making this the largestclock of its kind in Europe. It ispositioned on one of theyoungest, yet one of the mostprominent symbols of Socialistarchitecture – The Palace of Cultureand Science.
In the Łazienki Park is Fryderyk Chopin’smonument, where in summer are chopinmusic concerts.
The Palace on the Water in Łazienki Park is a must for both art-lovers and history buffs.Originally a bathhouse for powerful aristocrat Stanislas Lubomirski, it was completelyremodelled by Polands Last King, Stanislas August Poniatowski who made it hisSummer Residence. The palace issurrounded by some delightfull parks,which are dotted here and there with follies and curios.
On the Castle Square rises 22 meters highstatue of the king Sigismund III Waza, theoldest secular statue in the city. Thismonument of the king, who moved thecapital from Cracow to Warsaw, was foundedby his son in 1644. In 1939 the columncollapsed under German bombs, its remainslies now close to the Royal Castle - and it isbelieved that touching it brings luck
In Krakowskie Przedmiescie is The Tombof The Unknown Soldier. It is situated inthe only remains of 17th century SaskiPalace, blown up by the Nazis. The tombwas established in 1925, and now there are24 urns with ashes of unknown Polishsoldiers from battlefields all over Europeplaced there.
The Old Town is a labyrinth of winding streetsand squares full of old world charm. While itwas entirely rebuilt after the Warsaw uprisingof 1944, it is well worth a visit to get lostamongst the cobbles and tastefully recreatedfacades. Now there are a lot of shops withsouvenirs and restaurants.
The Royal Castle in Warsaw is a castle residencyand was the official residence of the Polishmonarchs. It is located in the Castle Square, at theentrance to the Warsaw Old Town. The personaloffices of the king and the administrative officesof the Royal Court of Poland were located therefrom the 16th century until the Partitions ofPoland. In its long history the Royal Castle wasrepeatedly devastated and plundered bySwedish, Brandenburgian, German, and Russianarmies.
Copernicus Science Centre is a science museumstanding on the bank of the Vistula River inWarsaw. It contains over 350 interactive exhibitsthat enable visitors to single-handedly carry outexperiments and discover the laws of science forthemselves. The Centre is the largest institution ofits type in Poland and one of the most advanced inEurope. The first module of the museum wasopened on 5 November 2010.