What Are Smart Goals?
● SMART Goals are one of the most popular
goal setting methods because they are
● SMART is a mnemonic to guide people when
they set there objectives and goals
● By setting a goal which incorporates the
following five characteristics, you are much
more likely to actualise the outcome...
Smart Goal Specific
● The goal has to be very specific, clearly defining what the
outcome is you want to achieve.
● A specific goal will usually answer the five "W" questions:
● What: What do I want to accomplish?
● Why: Specific reasons, purpose or benefits of accomplishing
● Who: Who is involved?
● Where: Identify a location.
● Which: Identify requirements and constraints.
Smart Goal Measurable
● By having a solid criteria that is measurable helps
keep you on track to achievement of your goal.
● A measurable goal will usually answer questions such
● How much?
● How many?
● How will I know when it is accomplished?
Smart Goal Achievable
● The goal has to be realistic and achievable.
It's good to set goals that stretch you but not
● A useful question to ask is, "How can the goal
Smart Goal Realistic
● Does this seem worthwhile?
● Is this the right time?
● Does this match your other efforts/needs?
● Are you the right person?
● Is this goal in alignment with your other goals?
Smart Goal Timed
● It's important to set your goal within a time frame -
giving them a target date. A time-bound goal helps the
mind establish a sense of urgency.
● A time-bound goal will usually answer the question:
● What can I do 6 months from now?
● What can I do 6 weeks from now?
● What can I do today?
Smart Goal S.M.A.R.T.
So using all of the SMART criteria we could write out the following goal:
● (S) Specific: I want to be making a living from my new business
● (M) Measurable: I need to make at least £2000 Profit per Month.
● (A) Achievable: I know other people that have done it in the same business.
● (R) Realistic: Yes it is.
● (T) Timed: 12 months from today.
Actualised SMART Goal Statement:
● “It is the 1st August 2013 and I am making over £2000 Profit Per Month from