Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

CSUDH School & College Counseling Information Session (Rev. 12/12/2017)


Published on

Online Information Session about the School and College Counseling program at California State University, Dominguez Hills.

Published in: Education
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

CSUDH School & College Counseling Information Session (Rev. 12/12/2017)

  1. 1. Prospective Student Web-based Information Session
  2. 2. Thank you for your interest in the CSUDH School and College Counseling Program! We hope the following information will be helpful in learning about and applying to our program. We recommend that you also go to our website: and download the Counseling Program information flatsheet and Counseling Program FAQs to review throughout this presentation.
  3. 3. Our program offers the following objectives: • Master of Science degree in Counseling: - School Counseling option - College Counseling option • Pupil Personnel Services credential in School Counseling • Child Welfare and Attendance Authorization (CWA) • Certificate in College Counseling All students pursuing the Master of Science degree in Counseling, must choose an option in either School or College Counseling Students may also dual-specialize by adding the PPS credential and/or College Counseling Certificate to their MS degree objective.
  4. 4. What type of counselor preparation are you seeking? We prepare students to become School and College Counselors. School Counselors focus on 3 domains in working with students in preK – 12th grades: • Personal/Social Counseling • Academic Counseling • Career Counseling A PPS credential is required for School Counselor employment in California. College Counselors focus on similar areas, but their work is specialized according to their department. For example: • General Counseling, Transfer Center, EOPS, CalWorks; International Students, Athletes, Disabled Student Services, major Advising, etc. A Master’s degree in Counseling and relevant college internship experiences gained during a graduate program are necessities for College Counselor employment in CA. Educational Counseling is contrasted to Clinical Counseling preparation (e.g., MFT, LCSW). If this is more of your interest, you may want to explore MFT or MSW programs.
  5. 5. Choosing a Graduate Program is a big decision! Explore what type of counseling work you are interested in before selecting a graduate program. These resources can help inform your choice of graduate preparation: California Association of School Counselors   American Counseling Association American School Counselor Association American College Counseling Association    California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists American Psychological Association
  6. 6. What distinguishes the CSUDH School and College Counseling program from others? Characteristics of our program: • Emphasis on clinical skills and self-reflection. • The ability to dual-specialize in School and College Counseling. • Strong faculty commitment to students’ professional growth and development. • Modeling of best counseling practices: professionalism, respect, high expectations. • Commitment to urban education and underserved students in the Los Angeles region.
  7. 7. Is our program the right one for you? Expectations to consider: • Students must be willing to engage in a high degree of reflective and experiential learning. • Our program is very rigorous, both in academic and behavioral standards for students. • Degree completion time is 2-3 years depending on students’ objectives. We are not a fast-paced program. • The majority of our classes are traditional face-to-face format. • Students must be able to attend some 4:00 p.m. courses and complete internships as required by their objective. • A typical schedule for students is to attend 2 - 3 nights a week: classes are scheduled on Mondays-Thursdays from 4:00-6:45pm & 7:00-9:45pm.
  8. 8. Typical Length of Study for the MS Degree ~ Our program is not a formal cohort program, which allows students to complete the program at their own pace. Course load: Students take 6, 9, or 12 units a semester •Six units (2 courses) = considered half-time graduate status •Nine units (3 courses) or more = full-time graduate status •Twelve units (4 courses) = maximum unit load per semester. MS Counseling degree (for both options) = 48 units •If taking 12 units a semester, it would take 2 years to complete the degree. •If taking 6-9 units a semester, it would take 3-4 years to complete the degree. Adding the PPS credential, CWA Authorization, or College Counseling Certificate will extend the length of study according to one’s objective.
  9. 9. Additional certifications beyond the degree ~ In addition to earning the MS degree, students can also earn the following certifications: PPS credential •If the PPS is added to the MS School option, one additional Fieldwork course (PPS 575) is needed to complete the PPS credential. •If the PPS is added to the MS College option: four additional specialization courses are needed (PPS 512, PPS 545, PPS 554, and PPS 575) to complete the PPS credential. CWA authorization •Open to PPS credential students only. Requires one semester of these three courses: PPS 557, 558, and 555. College Counseling Certificate •Open to MS School Counseling option students only. Requires the College specialization courses: PPS 536, 537, 538 (nine units through two semesters of study).
  10. 10. Fieldwork Requirements for each objective ~ MS Counseling, College Counseling degree and College Certificate: - Practicum (PPS 537) = 100 hours in a college setting - Fieldwork (PPS 538) = 200 hours in a college setting MS Counseling, School Counseling degree: - Practicum (PPS 554) = 100 hours in a school setting PPS Credential in School Counseling: - Practicum (PPS 554) = 100 hours in a school setting - Fieldwork (PPS 575) = 600 hours as follows: A minimum of 200 hours at a high school, 200 hours pK-8, the remaining 200 hours can be earned at any level pK-12, college, or approved counseling setting. Child Welfare and Attendance Specialization: Optional authorization that can be added to the PPS credential. Requires 150 hours of fieldwork in truancy prevention and intervention.
  11. 11. Applying to the program
  12. 12. Eligibility for the program • There are no course, degree, or experience prerequisites, but you need to know why you want to be a counselor! • A 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA from your undergraduate degree (and in any graduate work, if applicable). Please see FAQs for information if you do not meet the minimum GPA criterion. • Bachelor’s degree must be completed by time of entry. • The CBEST must be passed if you also wish to pursue the PPS. • A willingness to explore and share of yourself interpersonally. Please refer to the Counseling Program flatsheet and FAQs for further eligibility information:
  13. 13. Applicant selection Increasing your chances of a thorough review ~ • Due to the large number of applications we receive, the selection is very competitive with an acceptance rate averaging around 15% each semester. • To increase your chances of acceptance to a counseling program, apply to multiple schools. Don’t limit yourself to just one or two programs. • Incomplete applications are not reviewed, so be sure to submit complete university and program applications by the deadline. • Take care to answer the statement prompts thoroughly (see Program flatsheet for prompts). • Ensure your referrers submit their letters of recommendation by the deadline. Please refer to the Counseling Program flatsheet for the specific application requirements:
  14. 14. Which specialization should I apply for, School or College? Which objectives should I choose? • Choose the MS option, School or College, according to which setting you see yourself working in. You can eventually change options if needed or decide to dual specialize. • Students must work towards the MS degree unless they already possess a MA/PhD in Education, Counseling, Psychology, or Social Work. - If you have a graduate degree in one of these areas, seek advisement about whether to earn a 2nd MS degree while pursuing the PPS credential. • Choose the PPS credential in addition to the MS degree of either option if you want to have the option of working as a School Counselor. - The CBEST is needed for admission to the PPS portion of the program. If you haven’t taken the CBEST yet, you can add the PPS to your objective after admission once the CBEST is completed. • Choose the CWA in addition to the PPS if you have passed the CBEST and are interested in possibly working in the area of truancy prevention and remediation. • Choose the College Counseling Certificate if you have selected the MS School Counseling option and are also interested in gaining college counseling expertise.
  15. 15. Application procedures 1. First apply to the University (via Cal State Apply), then 2. Apply to the Program (via our online application) Go to: to download our program flatsheet and FAQs. Both these documents explain application procedures in detail. The program application opens online on the opening dates listed above. You will not be able to submit a program application until the opening date arrives. The university application on Cal State Apply will open prior to the program application's opening dates. Both the program application and the university applications must be submitted by the deadline. Program App. Opening Date Deadline to Apply Fall admissions December 1 February 1 Spring admissions August 1 October 1
  16. 16. Application procedures Part I - University Application: 1. Apply to the University by Feb. 1 for Fall admissions or by Oct. 1 for Spring admissions through Cal State Apply: 2. Apply to Cal State Apply first, at least two weeks before applying to the program, because you will need to be issued a student id# for the program application. 3. Submit one sealed set of official transcripts of all coursework to: CSUDH Admissions & Records (CSUDH students excluded). 4. The BA degree must be posted by the time of admission (not at the time of application, so if you are still an undergrad you can apply if your BA will be completed before classes begin). 5. Due to processing times within the CSU, it is highly recommended that you complete your University application at least two weeks before you submit your Program application.
  17. 17. When setting-up your student profile on Cal State Apply, make sure to select “Graduate, including Credential and Certificate Programs” for the level of degree you are seeking, select “Master’s degree or higher” for the type of degree, and select “No” on the question “Have you previously attended a CSU campus and returning to complete that earlier program,” as illustrated on the screenshot below
  18. 18. Application procedures Part II – Program Application Requirements Our Program Application is completely online. All documents, including transcripts, will need to be uploaded into the online application. Please follow the instructions provided on the application website. You will need to: 1. Complete our online program application at: 2. Submit the program application fee ($50 payable by check). 3. Open and upload official transcripts from all coursework. 4. Demonstrate a minimum of a 3.0 GPA or target GRE score of 300 (see FAQs).    5. Submit a Certificate of Clearance or a Teaching or Substitute Credential 6. Provide three recommendations (to be sent by your referrers via email) 7. Submit a Statement of Purpose (see program flatsheet) 8. Attend a Personal Interview (if selected) Please go to: to download our program flatsheet and FAQs to assist in your program application.
  19. 19. Tuition • Tuition depends on how many courses you take per semester, based on if you attend part-time (6 units or less) vs full-time (7 units or more). • Most of our students are on Financial Aid. However, Federally subsidized aid only covers Master’s students and not PPS credential only students. • For more information, go to and search “tuition”. Links to Financial Aid resources are also on
  20. 20. It is recommended that all applicants carefully review the following links and documents for answers to additional questions: •Our Program website with Program flatsheet, FAQs: •University application: •Program application:
  21. 21. Thank you for your interest! Follow us on Instagram: @toro_counselors Division of Graduate Education office: Mr. Miguel A. Terán López (310) 243-3524 Program faculty: Dr. Adriean Mancillas Dr. Carol Sullivan