Reading Skills and Reading Speed
Dr. Chetan Trivedi
Reading is the knowledge process of deriving
meaning from written or printed text. or
Reading is a process of retrieving and understands
the meaning of stored information or ideas.
Reading Skills and Reading Speed
The Purpose and importance of Reading
• To acquire / Enhances knowledge
• Reading helps in mental development
• Improvement of conversational skills
• helps readers to decipher new words
• developing vocabulary, language skills
• To connect the ideas through the material on the basis of prior knowledge
• If the reader don't know anything about a subject, then it will be difficult for him to
grab the information
• 7516324 This is hard to read and remember.
751-6324 This is easier because of chunking.
123-4567 This is easy to read because of prior knowledge and structure
• The essence of reading
• The process of constructing meaning from text
• The ability to provide accurate responses regarding the written material
• Readers' prior knowledge
• Knowledge that reading makes sense
• This knowledge helps to recognize the words and meaning.
• Clarify confusing parts of the text
• For instance skilled readers, may predict what will happen next in a story by using
clues presented in text
Factors that Impact on Reading Comprehension
Reader Based Factors
Fluency with the Code
Engagement and interest
Text Based Factors
Narrative v. Expository
Quality of text
Density and difficulty of concepts
Five types of reading
• Light Reading
• Word by Word Reading
• Reading to Study
Comparison of efficient and slow readers
Reads multi-word phrases.
Sets a purpose.
Adjusts reading speed to need.
Has a large vocabulary in that
Practices speeded reading daily.
Marks text for memory.
Sorts materials as critical,
interesting, or trash.
Reads one word at a time.
Reads to "the end of the book."
Reads everything slowly and
Re-reads sentences to be sure of
Has a limited vocabulary in that
Rarely attempts speeded reading.
Leaves pages pristine and clean.
Reads everything irregularly.
• Speed Reading can help us to read and understand written
information much more quickly.
• To read large volumes of information quickly
• Savings of time by speed reading
Speed Reading is based on the following principles:
• Wider visual span – seeing more words per fixation.
• Minimizing vocalization (mouthing the word) and sub-vocalization ( saying
the word in your mind) of the words.
• Being familiar with the topic and terminology of the subject material.
• Know why you are reading the material – motivation increases attention
• Good visual skills – well coordinated eye teaming and focusing skills.
• Minimized refractive error – easier if you are wearing the correct eye glass
prescription – ask your optometrist or optician.
Psychology of speed reading
• Consciously force yourself to read faster
• Putt the mind in order
• Organizing, Analyzing, Evaluating, and Reacting
• Reading and purpose of reading
• keep yourself relax
Some of the facts that reduce reading (speed reading) rate
• Word-by-word reading.
• Expanded length of time spent reading each block
• Faulty eye movements Regression
• Missing of concentration
• Lack of practice in reading
• Fear of losing comprehension
• read slowly.
• Poor evaluation of which aspects are important and which are
• The effort to remember everything rather than to remember
Tips for increasing reading speed
• Work on vocabulary improvement.
• Determine your purpose before reading
• Try to read faster than normal speed
• Use your hand or an index
Speed reading techniques:
1. Geometric progression
2. Time Calculation
3. Read, read, and read!
4. Keep plowing ahead
5. Seek professional help
SQ3R is a five-step reading strategy. The name is an abberviation of the five steps of
• Read (at your own pace):
How to Improve Our Reading Skills
Higher and professional education is required more reading.
Like in our course majority of work is depends on reading.
How good we are in reading skills?
steps to help us to improve our reading skills:
1. Evaluate our reading habits
2. Provide the best conditions for reading
3. Use our eyes efficiently.
4. Increase our vocabulary by keeping a dictionary
5. Match reading speed to the material we are reading
6. Do not vocalize the words.
7. Do not eread words.
8. To improve reading speed, practice for about 15 to 30 minutes each day
For the curious
The average reading speed is often held to be around 265 wpm.
Calculating your reading speed is a very simple and straightforward process. Just time
yourself reading a page of a book at a comfortable pace. Count the number of words
in the first five or ten lines, whatever you feel is representative of the page as a whole,
and then count the total number of lines in the page. Then use the following formula:
• the number of lines in the page divided by
• the number of lines used for your word count multiplied by
• the number of words in your word count divided by
• the number of minutes it took you to read the page
Speed Reading software develop reading skills.
By using Speed reading software, you can improve your ability to speed read. You
needn't practice special exercises; it is just enough to read and periodically practice
Speed reading software characteristics.
•Common returns to what has already been read, usually decreasing the speed of
reading, become impossible.
•Articulation becomes impossible because nobody is able to articulate the text reading
at high speed.
•Become accustomed to grasping a whole word or a group of words by a single look.
In such a way you activate your peripheral vision facilities.
•Study how to speed read without haste because the program dictates the speed you
have chosen and does not react to your haste.
• Magic Speed Reading can be used to study foreign languages as well because
initially you can read slowly, and then eventually accelerate, repeating familiar texts.
Dr. Chetan Trivedi