Outsiders Guided Reading Sheets Name:
1. Look at the book cover and the ‘cheat’ on the back. Make 2-3 predictions about what you think will occur in
the book, explaining why you predicted this.
2. WHILE READING THE CHAPTER, choose 12 of the following vocab words, write down the page where
you found it and YOUR definitions of the word. (please number or highlight each word)
asset souped-up hitched slouched bruised
half-conscious suffocate madras cowlick loping
finely drawn sensitive sympathetic irresistibly unfathomable
rarities suspicious ignored cooler impatiently
marked lousy savvy sarcasm
3. WHILE READING THE CHAPTER choose 4-5 main ideas from your reading. Explain WHY you think
each is a main idea and what bias in the chapter makes you think this.
4. WHILE READING THE CHAPTER write short notes on each character you meet. Be sure to choose items
that are important (relationships, appearance, social groups) and explain them.
5. AFTER READING THE CHAPTER explain what it means to ‘lie’ to yourself. Have you ever done this?
Does it work? Why or why not?