CHRISTOPHER KING (202) 422-5129 ● firstname.lastname@example.org
Open to travel
Award winning, multi-certified Systems Architect & Storage EDUCATION
Engineer offering 9+ years’ experience integrating real world business The George Washington University,
needs with cost-conscious, time-saving technology solutions. Washington, D.C.
Proven systems, storage, and data protection administrator, recognized Master of Science, 2008
by managers for sophisticated engineering, implementation and support Engineering Management
skills. Bachelor of Arts, 2005
Deeply knowledgeable and passionate communicator, sought as team
trainer and advisor, and vendor negotiator / manager.
• Systems Engineering & Architecture: Results-driven design Data Growth & Protection
and development of disaster recovery and business continuity Large-Scale Backup
including Enterprise, SAN, and backup implementation. Disaster Recovery Design
Enterprise Archival Solutions
• Project Planning & Management: Large-scale project Capacity & Performance Planning
management, requiring flexibility and business sense. Record of Virtualization & Automation
building sustainable solutions and improvements. Testing & Assessment
Deployment & Implementation
• Budget & Staff Oversight: Inspiring, pragmatic, and innovative 24/7 Production
leader, with experience directing teams of up to eight personnel Team Training
and groups of up to 20, while managing IT budgets up to $1 MM.
YAHOO! INC, Infrastructure Architecture & Strategy Sunnyvale, CA
Department providing architectural design and strategy for Yahoo’s global data center infrastructure
Senior Storage Engineer (7/08–present)
Global Data Protection Strategy | High Capacity Regional SAN | Cost & Systems Modeling| DB Storage Design
Recruited for expertise in EMC products and SAN design to be a member of an infrastructure design and tier-2
support team for worldwide storage and data protection operations. Transitioned to architectural team with
responsibility for storage and data protection architecture.
Systems engineer, team trainer, and special advisor to operations team, with areas of responsibility including (1)
production storage deployment of 200PB, (2) data protection systems moving ~2PB/day (3) capacity planning and
storage design for new datacenters. Works independently to manage medium and long-term projects.
• Designing storage portion of 200Gbit MPLS network for regional offsiting of tape and replication traffic
• Delivered architectural design of worldwide total tape encryption
• Responsible for “system of systems” view and modeling for overhaul of data protection practices.
• Migrated 22Gbit of FCIP interconnections to 40Gbit of FC over DWDM for Silicon Valley metro colo’s
• Lead project to migrate and consolidate 600TB Oracle DB through lifecycle to newer lower cost
• Performed technical guidance and opex costing function of RFP team for new tier-2 NAS vendor
• Developed and delivered training to operations teams (US & India) on SAN, Linux and x86
– Page 2 –
GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY, University Information Systems Division Washington, D.C.
Department managing data center, servers, centralized storage; and networking, telephone and cable services.
Enterprise Storage Architect (4/07–7/08)
Backup Network | VMware Virtual Infrastructure | Data Center Build Out & Co-Location | Oracle RAC
Recruited as principal architect for design of long-term storage infrastructure, virtualization, and disaster recovery.
Appointed to oversee all storage systems and Information Lifecycle Management program, developing solutions
across three sites: Washington, DC, Northern Virginia, and Doha, Qatar.
Project manager, team trainer, and special counsel on 25-member team, managing $1 MM budget composed of three
projects including (1) file and backup infrastructure, (2) disaster recovery co-location, and (3) SAN for new data
center. Manage up to 8 personnel as matrix lead, conducting weekly storage and computer trainings. Report to
Associate Vice President and Director of IT Operations.
• Implemented new multi-site SAN, providing RPO of 3-6 hours, reduced from 48 hours.
• Condensed backup window of Blackboard Learning System by 88%.
• Deployed EMC Avamar solution at Qatar site (1TB data), with RPO of one day, to provide secure offsite
backup replication over shared 100Mbit connection. Stored previously on tapes in unsecure location.
• Instrumental in 50% reduction in power for Windows servers through VMware Virtual Infrastructure
deployment to support physical-to-virtual migration of all data center Windows systems.
AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Division Name Washington, D.C. (Headquarters)
Congressionally charged membership organization representing chemistry professionals. $460 MM in annual revenue.
Storage Architect (4/06-4/07)
Recruited as lead expert and technical resource, charged with leading three member storage team and $1 MM budget.
Manage day-to-day operations and long-term co-location storage and disaster recovery systems design.
Led Windows, Unix, Database and Networking teams in development of comprehensive solutions in support of core
products across two sites. Advised VMware implementation, Backup System Lifecycle, Standardized system builds,
and Oracle RAC projects, including web content management system redesign and disaster recovery build-out.
Managed 2 direct reports. Report to Assistant Director of IT.
• Conducted three complete array migrations as part of SAN reconfiguration, without defaulting on
monthly commercial SLAs and requiring only one hour of downtime per server. Augmented accessible
space by 121% through without purchasing additional disk drives; increased individual raid set
reliability by 58%.
• Established disaster recovery strategies resulting in DR system that could be brought up within two
hours. Approximate monthly value of meeting SLA of $1.2 MM.
• Reduced backup window by 50% by migrating six windows file servers to CIFS NAS environment.
THE GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY, Information Systems & Services Washington, D.C.
Servicing business systems including ERP, email, information lifecycle management, and enterprise file sharing.
Unix Engineer (10/04-4/06) ● Information Systems Coordinator (4/02-10/04)
Analyst, User Tech Support (9/00-4/02) ● Local Support Intern & Help Desk Analyst (1/99-9/00)
Recruited to support position and promoted through increasing responsibility to Server Support as fully functioning
IT engineer. Engineering oversight of day-to-day multisite storage area network and backup system. Self-directed
SAN engineer, managing multiple arrays at two sites and use planning for 2006 hardware lifecycle upgrade.
Managed up to 4 interns. Reported to Manager ITS Technical Services and Manager, Enterprise Systems.
• Co-creator of award winning tiered storage system allowing for Tier 1-4 storage, with replication, to a
disaster recovery site 40 miles away.
• Responsible for SAN design portion of data center co-location project allowing for synchronous
replication of ERP systems and cross site tape backups over Fibre Channel, setting an RPO of zero for
ERP systems and removed the need for offsite tape rotation.
Technical Proficiencies Addendum – Attached
CHRISTOPHER KING 3354 Laguna St, Unit 1, San Francisco, CA
(202) 422-5129 ● email@example.com
Open to Relocation & Travel
• “Best Practices in Storage” for Data Lifecycle Management; Storage Networking World 2006
o Awarded to The George Washington University
• “Best Practices in Storage” for Securing the Storage Fortress; Storage Networking World 2006
o Awarded to The George Washington University
• Certified Novell Administrator Netware 5.1 - 9768387
• Cisco Certified Network Associate – CSCO10372792 (Exp 2004)
• Sun Certified Storage Architect – CLHKING (Exp 2005)
• EMC Proven Professional-SAN Specialist 4.0 – EMC125370
Management & Technology Expertise
Systems Engineering & Architecture ● Project Planning & Management
• SAN Design / Architecture
• EMC DMX, CLARiiON Provisioning, Replication
• EMC ControlCenter with Disaster Recovery
• EMC Archiving: Rainfinity, Centera & Dx
• Metro Network Design using DWDM / CWDM
• VMware Infrastructure & Consolidation
Storage Hardware Specialization
• EMC Symmetrix 8830 & DMX
• EMC CLARiiON CX600 through CX4-960
• EMC Centera
• EMC Celerra and NetApp FAS NAS Systems
• Quantum and STK Tape Systems (L700, SL500, SL8500)
• McData, Brocade, & Cisco Departmental & Director Switches
• Cisco ONS
Software & Operating System Specialization
• Microsoft Windows Family including Boot from SAN
• VMware GSX & ESX on EMC Backend
• Novell Netware 5.x, 6, and 6.5
• Microsoft SQL Server 2000
• Sun Solaris 7, 8, 9, 10
• VERITAS NetBackup Enterprise, Volume Manager
• BakBone NetVault
• Cisco IOS for Catalyst Switches
• EMC Navisphere and Control Center OE
• EMC Solutions Enabler (SYMAPI / NAVICLI)
• Sun Volume Manager (formerly Disk Suite)
• EMC PowerPath and PowerPath Volume Manager