Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

Nonpartisan Candidate Education Findings on Wind Energy

172 views

Published on

Findings from a 2012 poll show that Wisconsin voters support and are willing to invest in renewable energy, like wind power.

  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

Nonpartisan Candidate Education Findings on Wind Energy

  1. 1. Voter Attitudes TowardsEnergy Issues in Wisconsin A Summary of Pertinent Research Findings for Viewing byCandidates and Communications State for Candidates/Caucuses 220-3315
  2. 2. Research Methodology Telephone interviews with 400 voters in Wisconsin Interviews conducted January 9-15, 2012 Margin of sampling error of +/- 4.9% Bipartisan research team of Fairbank, Maslin, Maullin, Metz & Associates (D) and Public Opinion Strategies (R) Comparisons to 2010 survey with identical methodology Survey preceded by December 2011 focus groups with suburban swing voters in Brookfield 2
  3. 3. In Wisconsin, majorities support increased use of wind and solar. Total Total Strng. Sup. S.W. Sup. S.W. Opp. Strng. Opp. DK/NA Support Oppose *Wind 60% 25% 5% 6% 85% 11% *Solar 53% 36% 89% 7%Hydropower 47% 36% 6% 10% 83% 7%Natural gas 43% 42% 10% 85% 12% *Biomass 21% 32% 12% 32% 53% 16% Nuclear 19% 34% 21% 20% 7% 53% 41% Coal 13% 37% 27% 17% 6% 50% 44% 0% 20% 40% 60% 80% 100% 5a/b/c/d/e/f/i. Here is a list of specific sources of energy. Please tell me whether you would support or oppose increasing use of that source of energy to meet your state’s future needs. *Split Sample 3
  4. 4. Three-quarters of voters in each region want more use of wind energy. Support for Wind Energy by Region(% ofSample) (16%) (17%) (21%) (19%) (27%) 5f. Here is a list of specific sources of energy. Please tell me whether you would support or oppose increasing use of that source of energy to meet your state’s future needs.: Wind 4
  5. 5. Three-quarters of every partisan subgroup support wind energy. Support for Wind Energy by Party Identification(% ofSample) (25%) (48%) (26%) 5f. Here is a list of specific sources of energy. Please tell me whether you would support or oppose increasing use of that source of energy to meet your state’s future needs.: Wind 5
  6. 6. Wisconsin women and men are equally supportive of wind energy. Support for Wind Energy by Gender(% ofSample) (49%) (51%) 5f. Here is a list of specific sources of energy. Please tell me whether you would support or oppose increasing use of that source of energy to meet your state’s future needs.: Wind 6
  7. 7. Voters believe increasing the use of renewable energy and energy efficiency projects will create new jobs. Which of the following comes Which of the following comes closer closer to your point of view: to your point of view: energy efficiency Increasing the use of clean, projects like weatherizing and insulating renewable energy sources like buildings, and upgrading appliances and wind and solar power… technology in homes and businesses ….Will create new jobs 65% 68% Will not affect jobs 21% 21% Will cost jobs 8% 5% All/None/DK 6% 6% 0% 20% 40% 60% 80% 0% 20% 40% 60% 80% Q9/10. 7
  8. 8. Voters prefer a clean energy candidate in each region of the state. Candidate Preference by Region Milwaukee Milwaukee Madison Green Bay/ North West County Metro South North East(% ofSample) (16%) (18%) (22%) (16%) (27%) 12. In thinking about the election for State Legislature in your area later this year, for which of the following candidates would you be most likely to vote? 8
  9. 9. Pluralities of voters of all parties prefer a clean energy candidate. Candidate Preference by Party Identification(% ofSample) (34%) (40%) (25%) 12. In thinking about the election for State Legislature in your area later this year, for which of the following candidates would you be most likely to vote? 9
  10. 10. In fact, the poll shows voters are less likely tosupport a candidate who would weaken clean energy laws – a strongly-held position. Much more likely 8% Total More LikelySomewhat more likely 28% 35% Somewhat less likely 27% Total Less Likely Much less likely 25% 52% Makes no difference 3% Don’t know 10% 0% 10% 20% 30% 40% 13. Suppose you learned that a candidate for state legislature in Wisconsin had voted to weaken the laws that promote the use of clean energy and energy efficiency in the state, saying they thought weakening these laws would improve the state economy and quickly generate jobs. Would you be more likely or less likely to vote for that candidate? 10
  11. 11. Regional DefinitionsNorthwest Green Bay/Northeast Milwaukee County Madison/South Milwaukee Metro 11

×