Group members: Claudwie Tan Wan Sien / 0317997
Nhat Dinh / 0313309
Ang Wei Yi / 0317885
- One person first encounters another person and
forms a mental image of that person.
- Not deliberate & instantaneous:
a quick glance / for someone to evaluate you for
the first time
age / race / culture / language / gender / physical
appearance /accent / posture
- People tend to associate a good quality with other
positive qualities, and vice versa.
- Cognitive bias:
an observer's overall impression of a person
influences his or her feelings and thoughts about
that entity's character.
- Occurs without our active awareness
- The process by which we draw inferences about
others base on knowledge of the categories to
which they belong.
- A self-fulfilling prophecy
- What is beautiful or attractive is good effect:
physically attractive people are superior to others
- Tendency of people to favour information that
confirms their belief or opinion.
Non Verbal Communication
- Non-verbal cues:
behaviours / gestures / eye contacts / expressions
- Emotional expression:
observable verbal & non-verbal behaviours
(communicate an individual’s internal emotions to
- Facial expressions:
information can be conveyed with a smile or a
1. Robby K. (2012). Don't Judge Foreign English Speakers by
Their Mistakes. English Harmony. Retrieved December 7, 2014.
2. Rob Capps. (2012). First Impressions: The Science of Meeting
People. WIRED. Retrieved December 7, 2014. From
3. Chia, Y.P. (2014). Conformity and Group Behaviour
[PowerPoint]. Retrieved December 7, 2014. From