- A a critical discussion, showing insight and
an awareness of differing arguments,
theories and approaches.
- It should be a synthesis and analysis of the
relevant published work, linked at all times
to your own purpose and rationale.
What a TFW is not?
A list of authors that refer to specific topics.
A list of concepts that will be included in the
My own definition of concepts based on
authors' perspectives but without mentioning
A summary of authors' assumptions on the
topic under study.
The inclusion of quotes without deep
Purpose of the CFW
Identifies the variables of the study
- “considered as the point of coincidence,
condensation, or accumulation of its own
- clarifies, expands the scope of the project.
- provides understanding of theory, not an
What to do in the TF?
• compare and contrast different authors' views on an issue
• group authors who draw similar conclusions
• criticise aspects of methodology
• note areas in which authors are in disagreement
• highlight exemplary studies
• highlight gaps in research
• show how your study relates to previous studies
• show how your study relates to the literature in general
• conclude by summarising what the literature says
1. Synthesize and evaluate information
2. Identify the main ideas of the
3. Identify the main argument of the
4. Organize the main points of the
5. Write literature review
cited but the
writer does not
line: In order for