GESTURES: YOUR BODY SPEAKS
BY: CLAIRE SHERRINGTON
WHAT ARE WE TALKING ABOUT TODAY .....
5 ways to makes your body speak
Your speaking posture
How to ..
The principle of empathy
Why physical action helps:
1. Messages Are more memorable.
2. Punctuation adds meaning.
3. Nervous tension is channelled.
Gestures and body movements can help you harness your nervous
energy and make it work for you instead of against you.
VERBAL AND VISUAL RECALL
After 3 hrs. After 3 days
Verbal and Visual
5 WAYS TO MAKE YOUR BODY SPEAK
1. Eliminate distracting mannerisms
2. Be natural, spontaneous, and conversational.
3. Let your body mirror your feelings.
4. Build Self-confidence through preparation.
5. Use your club as a learning laboratory.
WHAT MAKES GOOD SPEAKING POSTURE
“A gesture is a specific bodily movement that reinforces a
verbal message or conveys a particular thought or
Supporting your words
Dramatizing your ideas
Stimulate audience participation
High visible 7
Body movement can support and
reinforce what you say
Using up nervous energy
Meaning behind the
You try ….
Why is eye contact
Use your eyes more
1. Know your material.
2. Establish a bond.
3. Monitor visual feedback
Before you speak
The first minute
Your entire body as an instrument of speech
Gestures can add empathy, interest and fun to the
Use them; but use them well