Sounds of the Day
• /g/ as in “goal,” “bigger,” and “pig”
• /k/ as in “coal,” “bicker,” and “pick”
Commonly Confused Sounds
• /g/ and /k/ are often confused with each other,
especially at the ends of words.
• i.e. “back” for “bag” or “wig” for “wick”
• /g/ is produced in the throat, with the vocal cords
• Your lips should be slightly open and your tongue
relaxed to allow the air to escape.
• /k/ is in the same location, except it is voiceless.
• Gary begged Grandpa to give Greta a bigger gift.
He guaranteed Grandpa that Greta would be
• Katie carefully backed the truck up to create a
corner for Kevin’s curvy coupe.
Now Put Them Together
• Kevin and Gavin are giving Coretta and Gretel a
costly vacation to Guam.
• Coretta and Gretel hugged Kevin and Gavin
gratefully when creatively given the gift by the
1. Kelly kicked the kickball back into the big pack of
2. Maggie’s bag of figs was in Mickey’s pack for the
hike to back the lake.
3. I picked the kite because it can go to great
4. Magazines and commercials guarantee great
gains with their “perfect” products.