USING THE INTERNET
Caerphilly Library Service 1
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHAT IS THE INTERNET?
Basically the Internet is an international network of computers
– millions of computers all around the world that connect to
each other through telephone lines.
WHAT IS A WEBSITE?
A Website is a collection of pages that are on the Internet –
they can be created by businesses, organisations or individuals
and can contain text, pictures and sounds.
SO, WHAT IS A HOME PAGE?
This is the first page on a site and will probably provide a guide
to the other pages contained on the same Website.
WHAT IS A SEARCH ENGINE?
Search engines work their way through the Websites to help
you find short cuts to the information you want. For instance
you might want to look for information on your favourite band
or find out the times of films at your local cinema.
WHAT IS A WEB ADDRESS?
Every web site has a unique address – examples are
www.bbc.co.uk and www.caerphilly.gov.uk
There are several different endings for Web addresses. For
instance “.co.uk” shows this a UK company, “.com” shows the
company is international, “org.uk” shows this is a UK
Caerphilly Library Service 2
FINDING YOUR WAY AROUND THE WEB
Using this pack, you will be able to:
Enter a web address
Use hypertext links
Use the and icons
Use search engines
Print required information
End an Internet session
Caerphilly Library Service 3
HOW TO GET STARTED ON THE INTERNET
You need to use a programme called a BROWSER to be able to
look at the Internet. The most popular is called
Microsoft Internet Explorer.
1. Click on the Internet Icon on your Desktop
This will take you onto the Internet
2. To view a different web site, type in a new address in the
ADDRESS box at the top of the window. For example,
let’s try the BBC’s home page – www.bbc.co.uk
Type www.bbc.co.uk in this box
Caerphilly Library Service 4
A hand appears ‘ ’ when there is a HYPERTEXT link – this
just means that by clicking on the hand, you can jump to a
different page containing the information or image.
3. Lets look at what’s on TV tonight. Click on the hypertext
link for BBC TV listings.
4. Now click on the hypertext link for HOME. You will return
to the BBC homepage.
HOW TO GET BACK TO A PREVIOUS PAGE
Caerphilly Library Service 5
1. Click on the button
2. You can also use the button to return to a
previously seen page.
Search engines work their way through web sites to help you find
short cuts to specific information. There are many you can use.
Caerphilly Library Service 6
Ask jeeves (www.aj.com)
The idea behind the search engines is that you type in a word or
phrase. The search engine then gives you a list of related web
1. As an example, let’s try doing a search on Eastenders
1. Type in google’s 2. Type in the search terms here.
3. Click on “Google Search”.
2. Results are displayed in groups of ten – the first ten results
of the search are usually the most relevant.
For instance, we searched for the Simpsons, from the
The first ten results are displayed.
Caerphilly Library Service 7
The www.thesimpsons.com web site looks suitable.
Therefore, just click on the hypertext link to enter that
If your search does not give you the information you want, just
try changing your search words and see what happens.
Caerphilly Library Service 8
You can also search the library catalogue on the Internet to
find Books, DVDs, Games and Music that may be of interest to
Type www.caerphilly.gov.uk in this box
1. Click on the links until you reach the library page
3. Use the search term box and type in a term for
something you are interested in and click on GO.
4. A list of results will be displayed. Click on the one you
are most interested in to see more information.
Caerphilly Library Service 9
HINTS AND TIPS
Keep your search simple
Fewer words are better than many
Put “ “ around words to search for a name of a
Sometimes the first site to come up isn’t always
the best one
Don’t always believe everything you see on the
Never give personal details about yourself
over the Internet
To close Internet explorer select and
or click on the
If you want to Print,
Click on the PRINT ICON in the browser toolbar.
Caerphilly Library Service 10
Have a go…
1. What is on television on BBC2 at 10.30 pm this evening?
2. How much would the game “Super Mario Galaxy” for the
Nintendo Wii cost at Argos?
3. What is the name of the Caerphilly Castle ghost?
4. How tall is the Great Pyramid at Giza?
5. Name one of the ballets due to be performed at Sydney
Opera House in Australia
6. Using the Railtrack web site, what train could I catch if I
wanted to travel from Caerphilly to Cardiff Central on
Saturday after 11 am?
7. Which two football teams are playing a match at Wembley
Stadium on the 6th February 2008?
8. Who played James Bond in the original Casino Royale Film?
9. Who was the first ever Doctor Who?
10. Who had a UK number 1 in 1981 with the song ‘Making Your
Caerphilly Library Service 11