Originally known as New England Ancestors they are have been expanding the areas represented.
American Ancestors Database
Presented by Reference Librarian, Cindy Grove
January, 15 2014
• The library has a subscription that can be accessed
within the library asking the Reference Librarian for
• Anyone can great a guest account for limited access.
What does American
• 500+ online databases
• 3,000+ volumes of records
• 125 million+ records (more
are added weekly)
• Vital records
• Court, Land & Probate
• Census, Tax, & Voter lists
• Military records
• Societies & Organizations
• Town Records
• Genealogies, Biographies,
& Local Histories
• Study projects
• Atlases, Maps, &
Viewing the databases
• There are two ways to view the databases.
• One way is to click “All Databases” on the main page.
• The other is to click on the leafy branch. Then click on it
• When you select a database you can gain more
information about the database and any searching
restrictions or broadening tips that are important.
• The easiest way to get started is by doing a basic search from
the home screen. Searching here or on the Advanced Search
page will not include external databases. All searches ignore
Advanced searching – first
• Start your search off wide and then get narrower. Unlike other
databases American Ancestors does not add any irrelevant results.
Advanced searching –
• If you have a guest account click the “Free Only” to restrict result to
what you have access to.
• When you select a database under the advanced search box you will
get the search tips we saw previously. This is VERY important because
it could give false negatives.
• On the bottom left you can choose between three
different viewers. You may need to download the first
• On the bottom right you can save, print, rotate, zoom,
expand to full screen and return to the default view.
To save an
going to print,
PDF. This way
you can save
the image in
instead of as an
• Below the image you can see some information from the
document typed out. This is the information that is
searchable in the advanced search fields, not everything
that is in the document.
• At the very bottom of the screen there is citation
information. Write this information on the back of the
These are not available to guest accounts.