• Grade/ Level: 4th
• Skill: Solar System
• Number of Students: 20-30
• This lesson plan was prepared by Rana
KARATAY with her university students
from Anatolia University Aysun
AYDOĞDU, Esad AYGÜN, Kübra AKYÜZ
• Assumed knowledge:
Instructions, name of classroom objects,
some action verbs and some words about
their hobbies, can for ability, possessive
adjectives, words about daily routine,
simple present tense.
• Materials: Masks, photos, balloons,
flashcards, pictures, powerpoint and videos
• Recognizing our solar system.
• By the end of the lesson, students will be able to
• Identify solar system and the name of the planets
• Recognize the order of planets in our solar system.
• Write the names of the planets.
• Identify and explain basic information
about the planets.
NOTES:We need to add Pluto, and has
its own moon, Charon.
T : The teacher
Ss : Students
WARM UP: Take attention to the lesson
• T: Hi students.
• Ss: Hii teacher.
• T: How are youuu?
• Ss: I am fine thanks and you.
• T: I am fine, thank you. Did you do your
homework? (Teacher wanted them to search
about solar system last week.)
• Ss: Yees.
• T: What is the homework?
• Ss: Solar system
• (Teacher attaches the picture which
shows solar system on the board.)
• T: Now, what is it?
• Ss: Suun.
• T: Yees, it is sun. Today, we will learn our
solar system. Are you ready?
• Ss: Yes
• What is it? (showing Mercury)
• Ss: Merkür.
• T: “Mercury” please repeat after me
• Ss: Mercury
• (Teacher writes its name on the board.)
• T: It is the first planet, right?
• Ss: Yess.
• T: Is it small or big? (She uses her body
• Ss: Small.
• Yees. Noow, look at this. What is it?
• Ss: Venüs
• T: Yes it is Venüs. Repeat after me “Venus”
• Ss: Venus.
• T: (She writes it on the board under the picture
of Venus.) Just this group please.
• Ss: Venuus.
• (Each group repeats the word to correct the
• The activity goes on like this for each planet.
• T:We have an activity for you.
• Unscramble the names of the planets
E C R M Y U R - -- - - - - - - - --
S U E N V -- - - - - - - -
R T E H A - - - - - - - - -
U N A S R U - - - - - - - - - - - -
P I R J U T E - - - - - - - - -
E P N U N E T - - - - - - - - - - - -
Answer key: mercury, Venus, earth mars Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune
Kinesthetic Solar System
• Teacher gives 8 planet’s mask to 8 student and
stars for the rest of the class.
• Teacher is Sun at the center and planets rank
around her and stars stand also.
• Mercury is the second and a few paces away
from the sun.This student circles the sun.
• They make a video together and in a line all
planets tell their own features. They turn around
Checking the Understanding
• In order to check the understanding after the
kinesthetic solar system activity, the teacher
gives True / False questions
• A) Apart from the planets, our solar system also
has asteroids and comets.
• B) Our solar system is 200 years old.
• C) All the planets except Uranus orbit the sun.
• called the red planet.
• D) Neptune is the largest planet in the
• E) Venus is the hottest and the brightest
planet in the solar system.
• F) Mars is also called the red planet.
• The inner planets are warmer, and rockier.
The outer planets are cooler and gaseous.
• The teacher wants them search its
because of distance to the Sun.