This lesson plan was prepared by Rana
KARATAY with her university students
from Anatolia University İrem DEMİRBAĞ
and Bilal KARABÖRK
• Grade/Level : Grade4 /Beginner
• Number of Students: 20-30
• Subject : Solar System
• Classroom Time: Two 45-minute
class sessions for this project.
Materials: Masks, Ballons, Flashcards,
Board, Pictures, PowerPoint, Video,Hands-out
Behavioral Objectives: By the end of the
lesson, the students will be able to:
recognize specific words related with the
subject. ( Planet, space, rotate etc )
understand the structure of the solar
identify the names of planets (Mercury,
Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn,
Uranus, Neptune and Sun) in its order.
indicate the features of the planets by
doing a matching activity.
draw the pictures of planets.
Instructions, name of classroom objects,
some action verbs and some words about
their hobbies, can for ability, possessive
adjectives, words about daily routine, simple
• T: Hi, students. How are you today.
• Ss: …….
• T: Very good. I Am fine, too.
• T: What did you do yesterday?
• T:Now look to the outside. Do you see sunshine?
• S: ……..
• T: Do you know where it comes from?
• T: Nice. Sun is a star or a planet.
• T: Sun is a star and the Earth is a planet. The Earth is in
the solar system and there are 7 more planets. Let’s
watch a video and see How big they are and How far
from the sun? Okay. (Teacher plays a video and
students watch it. )
• This video is avaible in our web site.
• T:Teacher shows a model of The sun and
asks to the students. What is this?
• T: Good. This is sun and the only star in
the solar system. The sun rotates around
itself. Who wants to be the sun. (A student
comes in front of the class and the teacher
gives her a big yellow balloon and a yellow
crown written ‘Sun’ in front of it.)
• The student says ‘ My name is sun and I
am rotating around myself’ (The teacher
sketches sun on the board at the center.)
• T: Now. This is the first planet from the
sun and This is the smallest one. The
teacher shows a picture of the ‘mercury’ to
• T: Do you know the name of this planet?
• T: This planet is mercury. And It rotates
around the sun. Repeat after me.
• Ss: Mercury
• T: Very good. Who wants to be ‘mercury’
A student comes in front of the class and
stands next to the sun. The teacher gives
him a model of ‘ mercury and a crown
written ‘ Mercury on it’. The student says
my name is ‘ mercury’ and He rotes one
time around the sun.
The teacher sticks the picture of the
mercury on the board near to sun and he
writes ‘mercury’ under it. That goes on like
this for the other planets ( Venus, Earth,
Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune)
and students makes a big model of The
solar system in the class.
• T: Alright, let's repeat the names of planets
one more time. First planet? It's the
closest planet to sun and the smallest.
• S: Mercury!
• T: Very good. What about the second
one? It's the brightest planet.
• S: Venus!
• T: Well done. There is life in the planet
and its satellite is moon. What is its name?
• S: Earth!
• T: Yes it's our planet! Okay, what is the
forth planet? Its color is red.
• S: Mars!
• T: Very good. The fifth one? It's the
• S: Jupiter!
• T: Good on you and the sixth planet? I like it because it
has many ring.
• S: Saturn!
• T: Well done. What about the seventh planet? It has also
rings but small rings.
• S: Uranus!
• T: Yes and its brother planet and the farthest planet to
• S: Neptune!
• T: You are great! Now, tell me the last one. But it's a star
and the hottest star.
• S: Sun!
A. Activity I
• T: Well done. You know well all of them.
Well, let's do an activity. (The teacher
shows the worksheet.) Write the names of
planets in the blanks. But pay attention the
order of the planet. You have 5 minutes.
• (Teacher hands out the worksheets.)
• T: Have you finished it?
• S: Yes.
• T: Okay who wants to tell us the first one? Yes,
• S: Sun!
• T: Very good. What about the second one? Yes
• S: Mercury.
• T: Thank you Selim. The third one?
• (Checking goes on like this.)
• Answer Key: 1.Sun 2.Mercury 3.Venus
4.Earth 5.Mars 6.Jupiter 7.Saturn 8.Uranus