What is weather?
Weather is the day to day changes in the atmosphere.
What might this include?
Wind speed Humidity
Wind direction Cloud cover
Air pressure Sunshine
What is climate?
Climate is the pattern of weather,
usually based over 30 years.
When working out the climate
of a location, the average
results of the changes in the
atmosphere will be noted.
Climate talks about general
warm, dry summers
cold, dark winters
hot and dry all year round.
How would you describe the climate of Singapore?
• Refer to the condition of the atmosphere at
a particular place over a short period of
time (24 hours).
– The weather in the afternoon can be warm but
later in the day, when the clouds block the
Sun’s ray, it can be cooler.
• Refers to the weather pattern of a place
over a period of 30 years or more.
– The weather in Singapore is hot and humid, at
times it can be wet.
3 aspect of weather and climate
• Refers to the degree of hotness or coldness
of the air.
• The amount of heat in the atmosphere
measure in degree Celsius (0C)
• What do you use to measure temperature?
Temperature is a measure of how warm or cool it is.
The units of temperature are degrees Celsius (°C)
or degrees Fahrenheit (°F).
How is temperature measured?
Temperature is measured using a thermometer.
Temperatures are measured in the shade, so the
sun’s rays do not heat up the instrument being used.
Most thermometers are made so liquid (mercury or
spirit) in the bulb at the bottom expands as it gets
warm and rises up a tube.