Social + Media: What's Needed Next (Drupalcon Keynote)
Social + Media
What We Need Next
3 September 2009, Drupalcon Paris
Founder, Social Media Club
Creative Catalyst, AdHocnium
Frustrated Drupal Customer
Hi, my name is Chris...
• I took computer programming classes at
Miami-Dade Community College when I
was 13 (on a TRS-80)
• My ﬁrst game system was an Atari 2600
(still have it)
• My ﬁrst computer was a Mac SE
I used to play with HyperCards
• I had my ﬁrst experience as a Super User in
1995 and it was oh so sweet...
The Internet became my career
• Guru Communications, 1994
I learned to build sites in BBEdit (still have the t-shirt)
• Virtual Community Network,1995
• Miami Ad School, 1996-1998
• Chief, eBusiness, U.S. Mint, 1999
I was a numismatist as a kid... and as an adult
• InfoApps, 2000
• Conversal, 2000
Being social became my way of life
• Insytes, 2004
• 1st BarCamp, 2005
• BrainJams, 2005
• Social Media Club, 2006
If you get it, share it
• The Conversation Group, 2007
• AdHocnium, 2008
I am a geek.
and apparently, I have
always thought geeks
were cool :)
a problem of perception
(I asked twitter and they conﬁrmed it)
What is Drupal?
• gilliatt@chrisheuer I suspect that the "general
public" response to that question would be a blank
• lisapadilla@chrisheuer drupal is the content
management system we've been promised since web
1.0 and earlier
• ScottGentzen@chrisheuer I'd always assumed that
Drupal was a linux distribution.
• obilon@chrisheuer It's a city in Southeast Asia. A
capital of some country. Am I right? ;)
What is Drupal?
• sherisaid@chrisheuer drupal is sort of like Joomla and
then again totally not.
• socialmediabham@chrisheuer Drupal is that thing
"that" guy talks about when we start to talk about
WordPress as a CMS...
• michaelpearsun@chrisheuer It is a CMS. Like WP
only more robust. This can also mean complicated. Has
a loyal user group. Terrible internal search. Blue.
• jeremywright@chrisheuer It's a platform where it's
harder to build simple things, but easier to build
complex things. IF you know what you're doing.
What is Drupal?
• TWalk@chrisheuer Drupal = an innovative framework
for building Web sites.
• sborsch@chrisheuer Drupal today is a "content
management platform for geeks" striving to become a
"social publishing platform for power users"
• bryanhouse@chrisheuer #drupal is a social publishing
platform to build websites that unite content and
• nikan@chrisheuer an application framework packaged as
• fucktwtr@chrisheuer Drupal is like Lego for building
Web 2.0 sites -just plug together modules and, viola! And
because it's open source, it's free!
Dries talked of moving beyond a
framework and becoming a product.
I don’t think that goes far enough.
Drupal needs to be an
easy to use
easy to scale
easy to love
You are here.
the social media community
and the Drupal community
share some problems
and growing pains
With success, we deal with...
• With newfound popularity, comes pains of
• New, clueless, and self proclaimed “experts”
are hurting us, causing harm
• There is a more diverse group of ‘users’
making it harder to be ‘user-centric’ in
thinking about the industry