This talk was initially delivered at the Melbourne WordPress User Meetup. With tens of thousands of choices for WordPress users and developers, choosing the right theme is an important decision to make when working on any WordPress project. Theme choice impacts on not only design and UX, but also usability, accessibility, performance and more.
Choosing the Right WordPress
Theme for Your Project
@chrisburgess - chrisburgess.com.au - #wpmelb
What We’ll Cover…
• What is a theme?
• A word about plugins
• What is a good theme?
• What is a theme framework?
• Diﬀerent types of themes
• Popular Free Themes
• Popular Commercial Themes
• Why is it important to choose the right theme for the
• How do you install a theme?
• How do you change a theme?
“A WordPress Theme is a
collection of ﬁles that work together
to produce a graphical interface with an
underlying unifying design for a weblog.
These ﬁles are called template ﬁles. A
Theme modiﬁes the way the site is
displayed, without modifying the
“Frameworks are for theme developers.
They oﬀer a set of standards for theme
developers to use in creating their own
themes. They’re a set of functions/
features created to aid development.”
• WebPagetest.org (http://www.webpagetest.org/)
• Google Page Speed Insights (
• Pingdom Speed Test (https://tools.pingdom.com/)
• GTmetrix (https://gtmetrix.com/)
• Akamai Mobitest (http://mobitest.akamai.com/m/index.cgi – a
mobile testing tool by Akamai)
• More page speed tools can be found here:
Page Speed Testing Tools