Cocktail garnishes are decorative ornaments that add character or style to a mixed drink, most notably to cocktails. A large variety of cocktail garnishes are used. Many rum-based cocktails, especially those with fruit flavors, tend to be decorated with tropical-themed garnishes or slices of fruit. Tequila-based drinks favor limes and other citrus fruits. Gin- and vodka-based drinks tend toward garnishes with a more dignified flair (olives, onions, or possibly a citrus twist or a single maraschino cherry), unless they are variations of a fruity rum-based drink. Whiskey- and brandy-based drinks tend toward minimal garnishment, if any. Restaurant chains and hotel bars tend to use larger and more ostentatious garnishes, and neighborhood bars tend to go the other extreme.
1. Obtain the proper garnishing tools. Mostgarnishes can be made with a paring knife,but it is helpful to have a channel knifetool and a grater. A larger knife may beneeded if larger fruits are to be prepared,such as oranges and pineapples. ChannelKnife tools are used to make twists and spiralsfrom citrus fruits, while a grater enables one to grate ingredients such as chocolate and nutmeg fresh right over the cocktail. A Lemon wedges and wheel, paringgrater can also be used to grate ingredients knife, channel knife tool and thethat are used for rimming glasses. A makings of lemon spirals, darkcombination of different garnishes can be chocolate square and microplaneused, so have the tools ready for the types graterof garnishes that are to be made.
3. Rim the glass. The rim of the empty glass canbe coated with garnishes such as fine sugar, salt,cocoa powder, finely grated chocolate and finelycrushed graham crackers or cookies. To coat therim of a glass, first spread or mound the garnishingredient on a small plate or tray, then brieflyrub around the rim of the glass with somethingsuch as a lemon wedge to moisten it. The garnishwill adhere to the area that is moistened. Then lay the glass on its side so that the rim istouching the garnish, and rotate or roll the glass on the garnish so that the entire rim is coated. Rimming glass with superfine sugar The glass can also just be placed upside down onthe rimming ingredient and rotated somewhat tocoat the rim. Additional garnishes may be added tococktails that are served in rimmed glasses.
4. Prepare standard or simple garnishes. Garnishesgenerally need to be prepared before the cocktailis mixed. Common, relatively simple garnishes forcocktails include maraschino cherries as well ascitrus wedges, wheels, twists and spirals. Olives,cocktail onions and celery stalks are alsocommonly used for certain drinks.• Wheels are made by simply slicing a fruitwidthwise. The ends of the fruit are disposed of,and the slices should be about 1/4" thick. To make wedges, first cut off and dispose of the ends of the fruit, then slice the fruit into eight wedges. Making lemon wedges Start by cutting the fruit in half from one cutend to the other (lengthwise).
• Spirals can be dangled from the rim of the glass. Twists are twisted, bent or rolled to release the citrus skin oils and to give them their characteristic shape, then dropped into the drink. Twists can be about an inch or more long, while spirals can be a few or more inches long. Twists and spirals can both be made relatively easily with a channel knife tool. Try making twists by running the channel knife tool lengthwise along a lemon (or other citrus fruit), and make spirals by running the channel knife around a lemon. Twists and spirals can also be made by cutting the rind of a citrus fruit into strips with a paring knife. • Garnishes such as cherries, cocktail olives and cocktail onions can be speared with toothpicks and rested on the rim of the glass or merely dropped into the drink and allowed to rest on the bottom of the glass, especially if the drink is not opaque. If multiple such fruits are going to be used to garnish one cocktail, it is best to spear them together with a toothpick. • For an easy but attractive garnish, rest a sprig of mint on the glass rim or on the drink. Cinnamon sticks can simply be rested on the rim of the glass or placed vertically in the drink.
5. Prepare more elaborate or exotic garnishes. Use a toothpick to stick together different fruits to make fruit "flags" and "boats". Flags are stuck onto the rim of the glass, with one fruit stuck on top of another. Boats essentially rest against the rim and Orange boat and orange on or partially in the drink, but are not stuck onto flag (use one to garnish a the rim of the glass. However, a boat garnish can prepared cocktail) rest on the rim of the glass with the help of a toothpick. An orange and cherry boat is made by placing a cherry on the center of an orange wheel and bending the slice somewhat around the cherry like a taco. A toothpick is inserted through the orange slice and the cherry to keep the slice curved like a boat around the cherry. Use boats with frothy cocktails. Try using fruits such as pineapples, bananas, kiwis and berries when making fruit flags. Leave fruits unpeeled when slicing them into garnishes such as wheels. Pear slice and kiwi wheel Strawberries and other fruits can be dipped in (use one to garnish a prepared melted chocolate and placed on the rim of the cocktail) glass.
To make a chocolate-dipped strawberry that can be placed on the rim of a glass, first melt some chocolate, then carefully dip the strawberry in the chocolate and allow the extra chocolate to drip off. The chocolate should be allowed to cool and solidify somewhat so that is doesnt drip down the glass. Set the strawberry down on parchment paper or wax paper for a short period of time, or keep it suspended vertically so that the chocolate drips downward evenly and forms an even coating. When the chocolate has become stable but is still somewhat gooey, make a vertical slice in the bottom of the strawberry through the chocolate- Banana slice, chocolate-dipped dipped part, and place it on the rim of the glass. If strawberry, and pineapple the chocolate has been allowed to solidify wedge with strawberry (use completely, it may crack and break off somewhat one to garnish a prepared when the strawberry is sliced and placed on the cocktail) rim. The strawberry can be placed on an empty glass before straining or pouring the drink, and try chilling the glass and/or the strawberry first so that the chocolate solidifies rapidly.
6.Garnish the prepared cocktail. Right after mixing the cocktail, garnish the cocktail as called for by the recipe or as desired.Sprinkle ingredients such as cocoa powder and ground cinnamon on top of the cocktail. Grate or zest ingredients such as dark chocolate, nutmeg and citrus fruits fresh right over the cocktail. Frothy cocktail with grated Cocktails made with hot coffee or hot chocolate dark chocolate garnish (usually referred to as "warmers"), such as Irish Cream Coffee and Black Forest Hot Chocolate may be topped with whipped cream, and then garnished with grated chocolate, cocoa powder or a maraschino cherry. You can also float the garnish on the surface of the cocktail. Float coffee beans on frothy cocktails. Also float citrus spirals and thin fruit wheels (such as apple wheels) on various cocktails, not just frothy ones. Persimmon wheel floating in cocktail
Tips- Always have garnishes prepared and ready before making cocktails.- Practice making the garnishes before making actual cocktails.- There are many variations on certain cocktail recipes, and garnishes will vary according to the recipe.- Always use fresh, sanitary ingredients for garnishes, as the garnishes are foods and are meant to be consumed.Warnings - Knives and other garnishing tools are sharp and may cause injury if not handled properly and with care.- No matter what kind of knife you are using, always make sure its sharp. A dull knife tends to do more harm than good.Things Youll Need- Garnishing tools (grater, paring knife, channel knife tool for citrus spirals)- Various garnishes (depending on your drinks)-maraschino cherries, citrus fruits, etc.
How to Make a Bloody BullA Bloody Bull is a tomato-based cocktail that is made with beef bouillon. Ingredients Salt 1 oz vodka 1/2 glass beef bouillon 1/2 glass tomato juice 2 dashes Worcestershire sauce (optional) Dash Tabasco sauce (optional) Ground pepper (optional) 1 lime wheel 1 lemon wedge Steps 1. Rim the glass with salt. 2. Fill the glass with ice cubes. 3. Pour in the vodka. 4. Add Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco sauce. 5. Fill glass halfway with beef bouillon. 6. Top off the glass with tomato juice. 7. Stir the drink. 8. Sprinkle on the black pepper and garnish with lime wheel and lemon wedge.
Chocolate Full Moon Ingredients: Amount Ingredient 2 Measures Tequila 1 Measure De Kuyper Crème De Cacao – Brown 1 Measure Cream Method: Garnish: Pour all the ingredients into a Chocolate shavings shaker with ice and shake. if desired Strain into a cocktail glass. Type/Flavour: Garnish with chocolate shaving if Chocolate desired. Glass: Additional notes: Martini Use De Kuyper Crème de Cacao Dark for the best results. A root beer float