Push the material into the sulcus
ensuring the material fully
extends into it
Using a sharp tool carefully trim
the material to the marked
Trim all around the sulcus to the
Make a handle approximately 20mm long, 15mm wide and
5mm thick taper towards the tip.
Flare the base of the handle to ease adaption to the base
Position the handle in the midline of
the anterior ridge.
The handle should be between 22mm
and 25 mm from the depth of the
It should be vertical but a slight anterior
tilt may be acceptable.
When correctly positioned the flared
edges are blended into the base
• The rest is made in the same way as the handle
although slightly shorter.
• The base is flared and the rest positioned
centrally on the ridge approximately in the
position of the second premolar/first molar.
• The rest should be a maximum of 15 mm from
the depth of the sulcus.
• If the rest is placed too far lingually it will restrict
the tongue, too far buccally will distort the
• When both rests are completed the tray is
checked and then smoothed with petroleum
jelly. This smoothes the material and acts to
seal the material to reduce surface inhibition
of the set by oxygen in the atmosphere.
• The tray is placed in a light curing box and
cured for 3 minutes. When cured the tray is
removed from the cast, the tray is turned
over and the fitting surface cured