1. To COMMEND Applaud, express approval or admiration I will exalt you, my God the King… One generation will commend your works to another; they will tell of your mighty acts. Ps 145:1-42. To MAGNIFY To make great; celebrate in praise GLORIFY (worship; revere) Oh, magnify the LORD with me, And let us exalt His name together. Ps 34:3 I will praise You, O Lord my God, with all my heart, And I will glorify Your name forevermore. Ps 86:12
3. To praise according to GOD’S CHARACTER, ACTS AND GREATNESS (His Names).4. To DECLARE OR MANIFEST Extrovertly. Mere “meditation” is not praise. Praise our God, O peoples, let the sound of his praise be heard… (Ps 66:8)5. It is DONE IN GOD’S WAYS –scriptural forms
1. It is God’s COMMAND. Praise the LORD… Ps 150:1a Let everything that has breath praise the LORD. Ps 150:62. God is ENTHRONED. But You are holy, Enthroned in the praises of Israel. Ps 22:33. It is GOOD. Praise the LORD. How good it is to sing praises to our God, how pleasant and fitting to praise him! Ps 147:1 Sing joyfully to the LORD, you righteous; it is fitting for the upright to praise him. Ps 33:1
4. God is WORTHY. Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom. Ps 145:35. We are CREATED and SAVED for praise. This people I have formed for Myself; They shall declare My praise. Isa 43:21 For as a belt is bound around a mans waist, so I bound the whole house of Israel and the whole house of Judah to me, declares the LORD, to be my people for my renown and praise and honor. Jer 13:11 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 1 Peter 2:96. There is power in praise (spiritual warfare).
1. Praise God REGARDLESS OF YOUR FEELINGS. If you feel like it –HAPPY …Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise. James 5:13b I will be glad and rejoice in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High. Ps 9:2 If you don’t feel like it –SAD Why am I discouraged? Why so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again-- my Savior and my God! Ps 43:5 Involving the will and determination –discipline. My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music. Awake, my soul! Awake, harp and lyre! I will awaken the dawn. Ps 57:7-8
5. Praise God in WHATEVER CIRCUMSTANCES. They will come and shout for joy on the heights of Zion; they will rejoice in the bounty of the LORD-- the grain, the new wine and the oil, the young of the flocks and herds. They will be like a well-watered garden, and they will sorrow no more. Jer 31:12 Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior. Hab 3:17-186. Praise God at the START AND END OF THE DAY. It is good to give thanks to the LORD, And to sing praises to Your name, O Most High; to declare Your lovingkindness in the morning, and Your faithfulness every night… Ps 92:1-2
1. Praise God everywhere – any place WHERE IT IS CONDUCIVE. Everywhere--from east to west-- praise the name of the LORD. Ps 113:32. Praise God BEFORE BELIEVERS. I will declare your name to my brothers; in the congregation I will praise you. Ps 22:223. Praise God BEFORE THE UNBELIEVERS. O sing unto the LORD a new song: sing unto the LORD, all the earth. Sing unto the LORD, bless his name; shew forth his salvation from day to day. Declare his glory among the heathen, his wonders among all people. Ps 96:1-3
7. Praise God whenever you FEEL AWAY from His presence. Hear my voice when I call, O LORD; be merciful to me and answer me. My heart says of you, "Seek his face!" Your face, LORD, I will seek. Do not hide y our face from me, do not turn your servant away in anger; you have been my helper. Do not reject me or forsake me, O God my Savior. Though my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will receive me. Ps 27:7-108. Praise God NOW. There’s no “praise-off” .
IT IS EASIER TO PRAISE GOD AMONG BELIEVERS THAN UNBELIEVERS. SHYNESS IS ONE WAY OF FORSAKING GOD. PRAISING IS EVANGELISM.YOUR PRAISING CONFESSES YOUR FAITH, KNOWLEDGE AND RELATIONSHIP WITH JESUS CHRIST.
1. MUSIC United playing and singing of praise. …. when the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD, and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of music, and praised the LORD, 2 Chron 5:12-132. MOTION OF HANDS Offering and consecration of ones self for divine purpose. • WAVING – “Tenupah” or wave offering which is “wave before the altar” (Lev 23:17-20). • LIFTING – “Terumah” or heave offering which is lifted to God (Ex 29:7).
3. CLAPPING Applauding God’s power and victory. Oh, clap your hands, all you peoples! Shout to God with the voice of triumph! Ps 47:14. STANDING Respecting God’s presence. After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, with palm branches in their hands, and crying out with a loud voice, saying,"Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!" Rev 7:9-10
5. Kneeling, bowing, prostration Oh come, let us worship and bow down; Let us kneel before the LORD our Maker. Ps 95:6 …Then they bowed down and worshiped the LORD with their faces to the ground… Neh 8:6b6. Audible voice Declaring, voicing out your praise. That I may proclaim with the voice of thanksgiving, And tell of all Your wondrous works. Ps 26:77. Dancing Using the body muscles and joints for praising. Let them praise his name with dancing… Ps 149:1-3
7. SHOUTING Shout of joy and victory. Clap your hands, all you nations; shout to God with cries of joy. Ps 47:1 Shout with joy to God, all the earth! Ps 66:18. SPEAKING IN TONGUES While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles. For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God. Acts 10:44-46
1. USE ANY FORM AS OUTWARD MANIFESTATION AND PERSONAL EXPRESSION OF YOUR INNER SELF TOWARDS GOD.2. USE ANY FORM IN FREEDOM AND WITH AN OPEN HEART AS AN ACT OF LOVE, FAITH AND OBEDIENCE TO GOD.3. PRACTICE THE USE OF ANY FORM UNTIL IT BECOMES A PART OF YOUR PRAISE AND WORSHIP EXPRESSION CAUSING IT TO FLOW NATURALLY.
4. FORMS ARE NOT MEANT TO BE ENFORCED TO ANY WORSHIPER. BUT THOSE WHO PRACTICE THEM SHOULD AVOID THE FEELING OF SUPERIORITY OVER NON-PRACTICING BRETHREN (ROM 14:1-4; 12:3).5. ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT GOD SEEKS FOR WORSHIPERS RATHER THAN WORSHIP (JN 4:23). HE IS THE ONLY ONE WHO SEARCHES EVERY HEART, AND UNDERSTANDS THE MOTIVE OF EVERY THOUGHT AND ACTION. (1 CHRO 28:9; PS 139:23)
The Tribe of Judah were called “Praisers”. God is raising up a “Praising Church” in the last days. In that day the mountains will drip new wine, and the hills will flow with milk; all the ravines of Judah will run with water. A fountain will flow out of the LORDs house and will water the valley of acacias. Joel 3:18
1. She praises and worships Jesus Christ only.2. She practices and values the importance of praise according to God’s ways.3. She teaches and leads God’s people to a “lifestyle” of praise (Ps 76:1a)4. She does not only offer, sing or play excellent music. But as the Bride, she uses music as her language in expressing her love and deep affection to her Groom -Jesus Christ.5. She raises “praising (and worshiping)” ministers – pastors, elders, deacons, singers, musicians.
1. The RESPONSE OF A REDEEMED MAN toward His Creator and Savior –through will, intellect, emotions. "Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?" "Who are you, Lord?" Saul asked. "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting," he replied. Acts 9:3-5 What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ. Phil 3:8 My lips will shout for joy when I sing praise to you- - I, whom you have redeemed. Ps 71:23
2. The GIVING to God. Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of Gods mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God-this is your spiritual act of worship. Rom 12:1 Jesus called out with a loud voice, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." Luke 23:4 Give honor to the LORD for the glory of his name. Worship the LORD in the splendor of his holiness. Ps 29:2
4. The UNASHAMED POURING OUT OF THE INNER SELF upon the Lord Jesus Christ in affectionate devotion. I cry aloud to the LORD; I lift up my voice to the LORD for mercy. I pour out my complaint before him; before him I tell my trouble. Ps 142:1-2 O my Strength, I sing praise to you; you, O God, are my fortress, my loving God. Ps 59:17 Do you know? Worship can be LEARNED not only by academic, but by experiencing the presence of God.
5. The EXPRESSION OF ONE’S HEART in love, adoration, and praise to God with an attitude and acknowledgment of his supremacy and Lordship.6. The act of EXTRAVAGANT LOVE AND EXTREME OBEDIENCE to God. Abraham worshiped and followed God by sacrificing Isaac as burnt offering. (Gen 22:2-3) Job acknowledged God’s sovereign power and worshiped God in times of pain and sickness. (Job 1:20) David acknowledged God’s justice and worshiped God after the death of his son. (2 Sam 12:15-20) Jesus Christ followed and accomplished His Father’s will and plan for our salvation. Even ended the act of salvation in worship. (Mark 14:34-36; Luke 23:46)
TRUE WORSHIP HAPPENS WHEN YOU FEEL OR EXPERIENCE THE ANOINTED PRESENCE OF GOD. AND MOST ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ARE IN YOUR DARKEST HOUR. IN THE DEPTH OF OUR SPIRIT WE CRY TO THE SPIRIT GOD, “I BOW MY HEART AND LIFE BEFORE GOD ALMIGHTY, ACKNOWLEDGING HIS SUPREME LORDSHIP” REGARDLESS OF NEGATIVE CIRCUMSTANCES OR COMPLETE EMOTIONAL TURMOIL”. THIS IS THE FUNDAMENTAL ESSENCE OF WORSHIP.
1. Worship is FOR THE SIMPLE. True worship revealed to the simple Samaritan woman (Jn 4:21-24) and exemplified by the known Sinner who anointed Jesus’ feet (Lk 7:44) One who admits, confesses, and repents from his sins. For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight. Ps 51:3-4 One who admits his weakness and nothingness without God. The LORD is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. Ex 15:12a
One who opens his heart and empty himself so he can be full of God. Test me, O LORD, and try me, examine my heart and my mind… Ps 26:2 For the one who diligently seeks -hungry and thirsty for God’s presence so he can be satisfied. O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you… Ps 63:1a "Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost. Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare. Isa 55:1-2
WORSHIP IS AN INVITATION.ALL ARE INVITED TO EAT ANDDRINK, FREELY. BUT ONLY FEWGOES OUT FULL ANDSATISFIED.
2. Worship MUST BE SIMPLE. With all the energies involved, and extravagant preparations, it must not be a hard labor. It must be enjoying, relaxing and resting in the presence of God. Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. (Matt 11:28) Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. Ps 62:5 It must be strengthening, invigorating and therapeutic . But those who wait on the LORD will find new strength.
God demands our exclusive worship. He is a jealous God. (Ex 20:5) I will not give glory to another. Is 42:8 We created for His own pleasure. We belong to Him and to Him alone. Worship God alone.
SATAN WILL DO HIS BEST TO DISTRACT US FROM GIVING OUR EXCLUSIVE WORSHIP TO JESUS CHRIST. IDOLATRY IS COMMITTED WHEN WE ALLOW OTHER THINGS TO GAIN PRIORITY IN OUR HEARTS AND DESIRES OTHER THAN OUR WORSHIP AND MOST ESPECIALLY THE OBJECT OF WORSHIP –JESUS CHRIST. “WORSHIPING WORSHIP” IS A FORM OF IDOLATRY. ACTIVITY-CENTERED PERSONALITY-CENTERED COPYING / REPRODUCING CD-QUALITY WORSHIP
1. Our highest priority is to become a worshiper -the very purpose of our creation and redemption.2. To stay connected –relating, knowing, following, learning from the object of our service –Jesus Christ.3. Service is only second in priority. Worship first then serve. Worship the Lord your God, and serve Him only. Mat 4:10
1. SADLY, SOME ARE QUICK TO SERVE BUT LACKING OR NEGLECTING WORSHIP (LIKE MARTHA).2. THERE’S NO GREAT SERVICE DONE AS AN ACT OF WORSHIP CAN BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR ACTUAL WORSHIP.3. JESUS IS SEEKING FOR A WORSHIPER WHO SERVES.4. A WORSHIPING CHRISTIAN IS THE BEST SERVANT. SERVING WITH EXCELLENT RESULT. SERVING WITH LOVE AND HUMILITY -LESS FOCUS TO SELF AND MORE TO OTHERS. TEACHEABLE AND GOOD FOLLOWER.
1. To MINISTER unto the Lord (Ps 150:1). Responding and expressing our love to God in a personal way.2. To PREPARE ONESELF for worship. Personal worship, meditation of the word, prayer. Rest early. Our confidence before God is developed through personal time with Him.3. To DEAL WITH KNOWN SIN before coming to worship service. Precious moments for vibrant worship is not lost.
4. To INVEST QUALITY TIME IN PRAYER before worship service (Mat 6:21). For higher level of concern and participation in worship.5. To COME FREQUENTLY in the place of worship. To fellowship and receive strength from others.6. To BRING OFFERING. Come to give not only to receive.
7. To INVEST ENERGY. “Make his praise glorious” (Ps 66:2). Initiate a Lavish Praise rather than waiting to respond in heavenly blessing.8. To be SELF-MOTIVATED. Not choosy, not moody. Not in need of skillful leadership.9. To enter READILY and WHOLEHEARTEDLY. To start with enthusiasm not slow.
10. To BRIGHTEN UP AND BE CHEERFUL. Smile, put aside the problems11. To WORSHIP despite of DISTRACTION. Not blaming others for your lack of praise.12. To be a WORSHIPER ALL WEEK LONG.13. To be a WORSHIPER AS A LIFESTYLE.
TIP# 1: LEAD TO PRAISE Lead the Church in praise through singing and using other forms of praise. Lead by exemplifying “praise”, not only during worship service, but most importantly by your lifestyle –in all situations. TIP# 2: LEAD TO ASCEND Lead with an awareness of, and encourage the Church to be aware of God’s presence. Lead God’s people to come boldly to God, not by good works, but through the Great High Priest who is Jesus Christ. It is by the Blood of Jesus that made us 100% worthy of worship.
TIP# 3: LEAD TO WIN Lead God’s people in winning the spiritual battle using the weapon of praise. We praise and God fights for us. TIP# 4: LEAD TO LOVE Lead the Bride (Church) to love and be more in love with the Groom (Jesus Christ). Nurture a loving relationship with God. It will enable us to lead the Church into intimate worship.
TIP# 5: LEAD SIMPLY, LEAD THE SIMPLE “Bring your private worship into public.” Only natural worshiper can lead worship, right? Encourage the Church to simply open up and express her self to Jesus Christ leading confession and cleansing. TIP# 6: LEAD TO PROPHESY Do not lead music but lead worship in music. Use music as the personal language of love of the Church for God. TIP# 7: LEAD TO HEAL Provide music that brings healing and renewal of spirit. Music that “speaks”, and encourages spiritual reconnection and the outpouring of the inner being.
TIP# 8: LEAD TO CONNECT “Control and loose control”. Lead the people in connecting to God, and leave them with Him. TIP# 9: LEAD AS A TEAM Be united as team. Follow your leader and support one another. TIP# 10: LEAD WITH A PLAN, PLAN TO LEAD Prepare yourself for leadership -spiritual, physical, technical. Know and carefully select the songs based on the need. Pray and plan diligently. But leave them all to God by flowing with the Holy Spirit.