Fun with Form B Dr. Albert HarperForensic Science Consortium
LENOX HISTORICAL COMMISSION• OLGA WEISS• LUCY KENNEDY• BOB ROMEO• JAN CHAGUE• AL HARPER• JIM BIANCOLO• SUZANNE PELTON
OUR CHARTER• MASSACHUSETTS GENERAL LAWS• Chapter 40 Section 8D• Historical Commission, establishment, power and duties.• Section 8D. A city or town which accepts this section may establish an historical commission, hereinafter called the commission, for the preservation, protection and development of the historical or archeological assets of such city or town.
OUR MISSIONIt is the mission of the Lenox Historical Commissionto:• build appreciation of Lenox history;• provide guidance on the treatment of buildings, landscapes and neighborhoods so as to preserve Lenox history;• provide leadership in actual preservation efforts through support for funding efforts (grants, studies, etc.) and development of appropriate by-laws.
FORM B HISTORY• Form B is the historical building survey recorded in the MARCIS database for every town in Massachusetts.• MACRIS Form B can be found at www.mch-macris.net 330 Form B’s for Lenox 332 for Williamstown 405 for Great Barrington 569 for Stockbridge
FORM B UPDATE 13*Plan to update88 in LHD 534 outside LHD SWTLHC proposal toCPC 2009.Approved at TownMeeting 2010. 91 77
Implementing the Plan• Larson Fisher Associates – Historic Preservation and Planning Service 1) Historic District Update Standardize terminology Digital images Review boundaries Assess potential for National Register 2) Outside Historical District (38 properties) Construction dates Architectural styles Assess potential for National Register
GREAT COTTAGES• Not part of the update, because of the excellent documentation provided in Jackson and Gilder’s “Houses of the Berkshire”.
www.historicnewengland.orgArchitectural Style GuideThis guide is intended as an introduction to American domestic architectural stylesbeginning with First Period colonial architecture through the Colonial Revivalarchitecture of the early twentieth century. The guide focuses on common stylistictrends of New England and is therefore not inclusive of all American architecture.First Period 1600 -1700Georgian 1700 -1780Federal 1780 -1820Greek Revival 1825 -1860Gothic Revival 1840 -1880Italianate 1840 -1885Second Empire 1855 -1885Queen Anne 1880 -1910Colonial Revival 1880 -1955
7 HubbardIsrael Dewey House – Zadock Hubbard Birchwood InnTavern 1770This Colonial Revival style building hastwo stories, an asphalt shingle roof andhas been altered. It now has a 4-bay, wood frame; mansard roof with adentiled band at the cornice, gable roofdormers and shed dormer on the rear ell.The original portion of the structure wasthe home of Israel Dewey, one of Lenox’searliest settlers. Dewey, who establisheda home in the area by 1764, was one ofthe proprietors of Lenox and served in anumber of public positions. Like manyBerkshire householders, Dewey waslicensed as an innkeeper. He left Lenoxfor Vermont in the early 1790’s, and afterseveral changes in ownership theproperty was acquired by ZadockHubbard in 1798. He enlarged the houseand opened it as the Hubbard Tavern. In1806 the building was sold to AzariahEgleston, a locally prominent man, andconverted back to a private residence.
7 Main StreetMaj. Gen. John Paterson House1783This Federal style building has two stories, anasphalt shingle roof and has been minimallyaltered. It is 5-bay, center entranceconstruction. It has wood frame; clapboardsiding a hipped roof with molded cornice withdentiled band below.This house was built for Major General JohnPaterson, a friend, counselor and comrade ofGeneral George Washington, and led theBerkshire troops.. He was an advisor toGeorge Washington and crossed the Delawarewith him.Major General Paterson did not occupy thishouse for long, for in 1790 he retired toLisle, New York, where he died in 1808. Thehouse passed to his daughter, HannahPaterson, and her husband Major AzariahEgleston, who had served under Paterson andalso participated in most of the major battlesof the revolution. Egleston later served asJustice of the Peace and state senator. Thehouse remained in the Egleston family throughthe 19th century, although later generationsused it as a summer residence. The buildingwas purchased by the Lenox National Bank in1968 and has operated as a bank since 1971.
17 MainElecta Eddy House Summer White HouseC 1886This Queen Anne style building has twostories, an asphalt shingle roof and has beenminimally altered. 4-bay, woodframe, asymmetrical form w/hipped roof, severalgable dormers; 3 brick chimneys-2 on R side, 1on L;This house was built on the site of an earlierhouse demolished in the late 1870’s. The lot waspurchased from the owner of that house, LucyCottrell by Electa Eddy in 1880. In 1885, Charlesand Margaret Eddy mortgaged the property for $9,000, and the following year sold it to JohnEgmont Schermerhorn for $25,000. Thefurnishings of the house were included in thissale, with the exception of several itemsmentioned specifically in the deed, the familyand household silver and linens, and the “articles of bricabrac of a personal andornamental character”. Mr. Schermerhornnamed the house “The Lanai”, perhaps referringto its original porches. Frank and Mary Newtonacquired the property in 1992.
2 KembleFrederick T. Frelinghuysen House Kemble Inn1881This Colonial Revival style building has twostories, an asphalt shingle roof and is intact. 5-bay, center entrance, wood frame; hipped roofdormers w/scrolled pediments - 2 onfront, paired on sides; 3 massive brick chimneysw/flared tops, painted white -2 side wall onmain building.Frederick T. Frelinghuysen, who served asSecretary of Treasury under Chester A.Arthur, built this house in 1881. The house washandsomely furnished, and the Frelinghuysen’sentertained lavishly, with former PresidentArthur among their many guests. The housewas subsequently owned by ThatcherAdams, who renamed it “Sundrum House” R.J.Flick purchased the property in the early 1930’sand lived in it while his estate “Uplands”, wasunder construction. It was then sold to Mrs.Charles F. Bassett who gave the school to theLenox School for Boys for use as a dormitory.The property was purchased by John Reardon in1993 and converted to an inn. Most recently, in2010, Scott Shortt purchased the Kemble Innand has made extensive renovations.
12 Housatonic Le HeritageGeorge C. Haven Cottage – Elm Cottage1881This Gothic Revival/Queen Anne stylebuilding has two stories, an asphalt shingleroof and has been significantly altered. It hasa wood frame with wood clapboard siding;Jerkin-head gable roof & dormer roofs.This was one of two buildings known as theElm Cottages, built by George C. Haven onMain St., just north of the Lenox Library(Second County Courthouse). The landcontaining the county jail, jailer’s house, anda county barn, had been sold to Thomas Post,Joseph Tucker, Andrew Servin and HenryBishop by the “Inhabitants of BerkshireCounty” in 1871, after the County seat hadmoved to Pittsfield. Post sold his portion ofthe lot to George C. Haven in 1881, at whichtime Haven mortgaged the property for$6,250 and built two large summer cottages.This one was rented to W. C. Schermerhorn,who purchased the house in 1887. In 1910,the building was moved to its present siteFrank C. Hagyard when he built the drugstoreat the corner of Main and Housatonic Streets.
17 HousatonicJacob Washburn House1825This Federal style building has two stories,an asphalt shingle roof and has beenaltered. Brick construction laid up inFlemish bond; front gable roof with eavereturns; gabled entrance canopy with largescroll sawn support brackets, pendants inItalianate style (early addition).This was the Washburn homestead,probably build by Jacob Washburn, whomarried the daughter of Samuel Northrup,an early settler in 1786. Jacob was aprosperous farmer with a large family and itseems likely that he build the house afterestablishing himself in Lenox. He died at age62 in 1828, but his wife and childrensurvived him and continued to prosper. Hischildren and grand-children became some ofthe largest property owners in Lenox. Thehouse remained in the Washburn familythrough the nineteenth century. Mrs.Thomas Morse was the last Washburn toown it.
27 HousatonicFirst County Courthouse1791This undetermined style building has twostories, an asphalt shingle roof and has beenaltered. It is a wood frame building with smalldentils along molded cornice; hipped roof; 3-bays facing Housatonic St. façade at 2nd floorand a rear wall chimney on North side.Built in 1791, this building originally stood justwest of the present Town Hall. This was thefirst County Courthouse, built several yearsafter the county seat was moved from GreatBarrington to Lenox in 1784. When the newCounty Courthouse was built in 1815 (now theLenox Library) this building became the TownHall and Post Office, and remained in thatcapacity throughout the 19th century. In 1901the present Town Hall was built, and thisstructure was moved two years later to itscurrent location by Thomas Post. GeorgeTherner purchased it shortly thereafter for useas a business block and apartments.
94 ChurchMathew Colbert HouseBuilt 1853Greek/Gothic RevivalThis Greek Revival/Gothic Revival stylebuilding has two stories, an asphaltshingle roof and is intact. The originalpart of the house has 2-bays, a woodframe, cross-gable and a brick centerchimney. There is wood clapboardsiding, corner pilasters and extra largeentablatures on the sides.This lot was originally part of theHenry Cook estate, which hedeveloped and sold in the 1840’s and50’s. This property was purchased byMatthew Colbert in 1853. The Colbertfamily also owned the house at 100Church Street.
81 Walker Pine AcresWilliam C. Wharton House - M. E. RogersHouse 1885Queen Anne StyleThis Queen Anne style building has twostories, an asphalt shingle roof and has beenaltered. There is a 7-bay, center entrance.The building has wood frame constructionwith a hipped roof and 2 large brick interiorchimneys. The first floor has woodclapboard siding and shingle cladding on thesecond floor.Mrs. M. E. Rogers of Philadelphia had thishouse built in 1885, for use as a summerresidence. In 1892 it was sold to Nancy W.Wharton who summered here with herdaughter. Mrs. Wharton’s son, Edward, wasmarried to novelist Edith Wharton who wasto become one of the most illustriousresidents of Lenox. After spending severalsummers in Newport, EdithWharton, displeased with both the climateand the lack of intellectual life there, came toLenox. She stayed at “Pine Acres” while theMount was being built.
64 Walker Walker HouseJudge William Walker House1804, 1906This Federal style building has two stories, aslate roof and is intact. There are 5-bay, and ahipped roof w/dormers. There are 3 largebrick end wall chimneys on main house--2 onthe left, 1 on the right.This house was built for Judge WilliamWalker, a judge in the Berkshire CountyCourts. The house later passed on to theRockwell family, which also included a CountyJudge, Julius Rockwell. The Rockwell familyretained ownership until 1906 when theproperty was acquired by the Curtisfamily, who also owned the Curtis Hotel. Inthe 1960’s, the house was given toBordentown Lenox School by Clinton O.Jones, Mr. Curtis’s son-in-law. It was used as adormitory until 1973 when it was sold for useas a private residence. In 1980 it waspurchased by Margaret and Richard Houdekwho converted the house into a B & B calledWalker House.
88 WalkerTrinity Episcopal Church1888This Romanesque style building hastwo stories, a red slate roof and isintact. It has asymmetrically organizedfacades with an irregular footprint.The main section (nave & narthex) hasa 3-bay wide front & is 6 bays deep.The cornerstone was laid in 1885 byReverend Justin Field, assisted by theformer US President, Chester A.Arthur. Many other noted craftsmenworked on various parts of the church, such as Tiffany and Co. which createdmany of the original windows. Thechurch is listed on the NationalRegister of Historic Places.
95 Old Stockbridge Rd PlumsteadPlumstead1810This 2-story wood-framed Federal periodhouse has received additions and beenremodeled such that the eclectic QueenAnne category best reflects its amendedstyle. The house began with a 5-bay, centerentrance facade under a gable roof with slateshingles. Its second story slightly overhangsthe first floor.Plumstead was the first site of the jail andthe jailer’s house- part of the structures wereburned down by a prisoner in 1814.Plumstead was first the summer home of Mr.Alfred Deveaus, who sold it to Mrs. JoesphWhistler. In 1940 the property was acquiredby Mrs. Bruce W. Sandborn then descendedto her son Carl Weyerhauser. In 1968, it wassold to a local lawyer, Mr. Charles Alberti(who is now retired Superior Justice Alberti).In 1978, the property was purchased by Mr.and Mrs. Frank Macioge. The Macioge’s soldthe property in 1985 to Paul and MirjanaDraskovic, who are the current owners.
265 East StreetBartlett Farmc. 1810This wood-framed Federal period house exhibits theclassic characteristics of the type: gable roof, twostories, five bays, central entrance and large brick endwall chimneys..Thomas Rockwell of Ridgefield, Ct. first settled in theBartlett Farm, circa 1770. He is believed to have built alog house a few rods sought of the present dwelling. In1795 Rockwell deeded the farm to JeremiahOsborn, also of Ridgefield, CT. Osborn sold the propertyFebruary 16 1797 to Zadock Hubbard. Hubbard builtthe frame house that is the rear ell of the presenthouse.Allen Metcalf purchased the property in 1808.Originally from Sharon, Ct., Metcalf had settled on thefarm later owned by George O. Peck in about 1794.Metcalf was a joiner and a house builder whoconstructed the front 2.5 story part of the house in1810. Edmand Dewey laid the cellar for him. Mr.Metcalf also ran the Lenox Coffee House. Later hisson, Allen C. Metcalf, purchased the Sabin Farm of 50acres south of his father. Allen C. Metcalf died in 1846and his father and mother moved to Ohio.John Kellogg purchased the property and stayed for 2years. The farm was then purchased by William Bartlettin 1849. B.F. Bartlett inherited the farm upon hisfather’s death on July 6, 1857. A fire on June 24, 1881destroyed the Old Sabin barn, house and shop. Thepresent house narrowly escaped
169 Under MountainStonover Farm1890The property contains a complex of farmbuildings, almost all of which exhibit the architecturalcharacteristics of the Arts and Crafts style. Thefarmhouse is two stories in height, has a 5-bay frontfaçade, and is two bays deep.Stonover Farm was built in 1890 by John Parsons as thefarm house for the Parsons Estate, Stonover on YokunAvenue. The house was maintained by Mr. HerbertParsons, a New York Congressman and his wife ElsieCrews (who was one of the first femaleanthropologists, AH). They lived there with theirdaughter who maintained the property after theirdeath, Mrs. John d. Kennedy. Mrs. Kennedy left theproperty to Mr. Herbert Patterson of New York. After hisdeath he left the property to his secretary. The propertywas then purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Jonas Dovydenas.Since the time of the August 31, 1988 Form B. Theproperty without the barn was transferred to Lawrenceand Rosemary Geller in 1990. Tom and Suky Wermanpurchased the house in 2000 and the barn in 2003 andhave made extensive renovations to convert StonoverFarm into a renowned Bed and Breakfast Inn.
Belvoir Terrace Morris K. JesupBanker-PhilanthropistPresident of the AmericanMuseum of Natural HistoryJesup North Pacific Expedition 1897-1902Franz Boas in charge of JNPEBoas’ first female PhD studentElsie Crew Parsons
317 Under Mountain Janet’s HouseC 1790, 1820, 1850, 1906, 1970, 1980Greek RevivalThis 2-story, 3-bay, wood frame house hasa front gable roof with pediment.Although built in an earlier period, thehouse has been remodeled in theColonial Revival style c. 1900. The frontdoor surround has an entablature, plainpilasters, 2/3-length sidelights withpanels below.This house could have possibly belongedto the Pine Needles Estate. The mainhouse and buildings were owned by Mr.George Daty Blake. At the time of hiswife’s death the property was sold. In1969 this house was sold to Rose Barash.In 1971, the name transferred toSeymour and Rosalyn Barash. They soldthe property to Mr. and Mrs. HenryNadig. The current owners purchased theproperty in 1978. They are Roger D. andJanet H. Pumphrey.
Almost DoneJim Biancolo working to provide thefinishing touches. Cross checking difference between old and new Standardize notation Add Assessor’s data to Historical Narrative Match property names with MACRIS Complete any missing information
But that’s not all, folksLHC is busy onnumerous otherprojects:Historic StreetSigns in the HDSpecial thanks toJim Biancolo
But that’s not all, folksLHC is busy onnumerous otherprojects:Expansion ofHistoric StreetlightsSpecial Thanks toSuzanne Pelton
But that’s not all, folksLHC is busy onnumerous otherprojects:Church on the HillCemetery ProjectSpecial thanks toLucy Kennedy
But that’s not all, folksLHC is busy onnumerous otherprojects:Demolition DelayBy-lawSpecial thanks toOlga Weiss
Back to the FutureSestercentennial Semiquincentennial Bicenquinquagenary Quarter-millennial