Click for page continue
About White Horse Temple
White Horse Temple is, according to tradition, the first Buddhist temple in
China, established in 68 AD under the patronage of Emperor Ming in the Eastern
Han capital Luoyang. Today the site is located just outside the walls of the ancient
Eastern Han capital, some 12–13 km east of modern Luoyang in Henan Province.
The temple, although small in size in comparison to many other temples in China, is
considered by most believers as "the cradle of Chinese Buddhism".
In order to commemorate the white horses that carried the sutras from India, the
temple was named the White Horse Temple.
Distributed from north to south along the temple are such buildings as the Five Major
Protectors Hall, The Hall of Heavenly Kings, Great Buddha Hall, Daxiong Great
Hall, The Reception Hall, Qingliang Platform and Pilu Pavilion.
The Daxiong Great Hall is the most magnificent in scale and the most aesthetically
splendid. Sanshi Buddha, Ertian General and Eighteen Disciples of Buddha are all
Yuan Dynasty (1271-1368) works. Vivid in posture and unique in gesture, they are
truly treasures of Buddhist art.
In the Great Buddha Hall, at the altar, there are three
statues, the central statue is that of Shakhyamuni Buddha
flanked by statue of Manjushri and Samantabhadra.
There is a very large bell weighing
more than 1 ton, installed during the
reign of Emperor Jiajing of the Ming
Dynasty, near the altar, which is still
struck in time during the chanting of
prayers by the monks.
祭壇旁邊大鐘重量超過 1 噸，明代嘉
There are three Buddha statues. The central image is of the Sakyamuni Buddha. This
statue is flanked on the left by the Bhavisyajya guru and on the right by Amitabha;
both these in turn are flanked by two heavenly generals named Weituo and Weili. , All
the statues were made in ramie-cloth during the Yuan Dynasty
Statues of 18 arhats adorn the side of
the hall. All the statues were made in
ramie-cloth during the Yuan Dynasty.
There are three statues in the Pilu Pavilion, in the center is Vairocana
Buddha, Manjushri at the left side and Samantabhadra at the right side.
Both sides of the Pilu Pavilion are wooden terra niches. The enshrined
statues are made of incense ash. A total of 5,050 statue.