The part that runs the container. Part not previously available as a separate component. Now spun out. Runc even smaller component/reference implementation of a standard. OCI. Engine and components...
Containerd Donation to CNCF Cloud Native Conference Berlin 2017
Docker donates containerd to CNCF
Patrick Chanezon, @chanezon, Docker Inc.
containerd: What is a Core Container Runtime?
Component that provides core primitives to manage containers on a host
• Container execution and supervision
• Image distribution
• Network Interfaces & Management
• Local storage
• Native plumbing level API
Built by Docker with input from five largest cloud providers
• Alibaba, AWS, Google, IBM and Microsoft
• 141 commits per month (avg)
• 17 unique contributors per month (avg)
• 7 new contributors in past 30 days
• 8 maintainers, from 5 companies
Alignment with CNCF goals
• cloud native: container packaged, dynamically managed,
• containerd’s goal is to be a great core container runtime for cloud
Alignment with CNCF projects
• uses GRPC, exposes metrics in Prometheus format
• designed to be a great replacement for Docker as Kubernetes
Want to contribute or learn more?
containerd devs at Cloud Native Conference
• Justin Cormack’s talk Thursday 11:30-12:05
“Containerd: The Universal Container Runtime”
• containerd Salon Wednesday 1:55 pm - 3:15 pm in C04
• Next containerd summit at DockerCon in Austin April 20th
during Docker Internals summit