Victorian Novel Test- 2
1. Among these of Charles Dickens’ works, which is a historical novel?
A. Bleak House B. Great Expecta ons
C. Hard Times D. Barnaby Rudge.
2. Charlo e Bronte’s “Jane Eyre” was published in the year…
A. 1851 B. 1847
C. 1840 D.1845
3. Which work of Charles Dickens irritated Americans?
A. Mar n Chuzzlewit B. A Tale of Two Ci es
C. Bleak House D. Hard Times
4. Which protagonist of W. M. Thackeray is described as “ neither angel, nor imp
A. Henry Esmond B. Arthur Pendennis
C. Colonel Thomas Newcome D. Becky Sharp
5. Among these, which is not a work of George Meredith?
A. The Egoist B. The Ordeal of Richard Feverel
C. Middlemarch D. Diana of the Crossways
6. The tle of Thomas Hardy novel “Far From the Madding Crowd” is taken
A. Elegy Wri en in a Country Churchyard B. Rime of the Ancient Mariner
C. Paradise Lost D. Pilgrim’s Progress
7. George Meredith’s novel “ Emilia in England “, later renamed as…
A. The Shaving of Shagpat B. The Egoist
C. The Ordeal of Richard Feverel D. Sandra Belloni
8. “A Tale of the Riots of Eighty” is the sub tle of Charles Dickens’ novel….
A. Barnaby Rudge B. Bleak House
C. Great Expecta ons D. Li le Dorrit
9. The pathe c character of” Li le Nell “ appears in
A. Li le Dorrit B. The Old Curiosity Shop
C. Great Expecta ons D. Bleak House
10. A er which novel, Thomas Hardy abandoned prose and turned to poetry
A. Jude, The Obscure B. Far From The madding Crowd
C. The Woodlanders D. The Mayor of Castorbridge
11. Who is the author of “ Essay on Comedy “?
A. George Elliot B. W.M Thackeray
C. Charles Dickens D. George Meredith
12. Who is the author of “ Yelloplush Papers”?
A. Thomas Hardy B. W. M. Thackeray
C. Charles Dickens D. Elizabeth Gaskell
13. Charle Dickens’ greatest novel “A Tale of Two Ci es “ is inﬂuenced from
A. Shakespeare’s “ Hamlet” B. John Keats’ ”Endymion”
C. Carlyle’s “French Revolu on” D. Melville’s “Moby Dick”
14. In which novel by Charles Dickens, The character ” Uriah Heep” is found?
A. David Copperﬁeld B. A Christmas Carol
C. Hard Times D. Bleak House
15. What is the ﬁrst novel by Elizabeth Gaskell?
A. Cranford B. Mary Barton
C. Ruth D. North and South
1.D 6.A 11.D
2.B 7.D 12.B
3.A 8.A 13.C
4.B 9.B 14.A
5.C 10.A 15.B