Approach per ingredient:
• map supply chain
• production region
• supply chain
• estimate supplied product GHG emission factor with ACGE calculator:
• crop GHG factor is derived from default data set
• food loss factors along the chain are derived from default data
• transportation distances & modalities are estimated
Dish GHG emission factor = weighted average of ingredients’ emission factor
Agro-Chain Greenhouse gas Emissions (ACGE)
calculator will be made available on
Rendang: meat dish with spices from West Sumatra
Main ingredients Total GHG emissions
per kg product
Red chili 0.251
Coconut milk 0.073
Candle nut 0.042
Sunflower oil 0.318
Total: 11.043 kg CO2-eq. per kg prepared food
Main ingredients Total GHG
emissions per kg
Meat alternative 0.155
Red chili 0.206
Coconut milk 0.058
Candle nut 0.035
Sunflower oil 0.262
Total: 1.042 kg CO2-eq. per kg prepared food
Rendang, meat alternative
Comparing outcomes of the menus
Serving Food waste
Tuesday (HIGH IMPACT MEAL)
184.46 1.54 60.18 1043.06 11.20 399.96
Wednesday (HEALTHY & SUSTAINABLE: EAT-LANCET)
148.40 6.09 25.28 490.75 18.24 86.36
Thursday (MEAT ALTERNATIVES)
143.70 4.74 22.31 269.01 6.59 47.59
Product volumes in kg associated GHG emissions in kg CO2-eq.
TOTAL waste-induced GHG emissions: 550 kg CO2-eq.
Results in perspective
• Low volumes of waste on the plate:
You behaved very responsible!
• Consequently: larger surpluses on the dishes
• Food waste associated GHG emissions are larger than hotel
shuttles and comparable airport taxi GHG emissions
114 shuttle rides x 5 km x 0.3 kg/km = 171 kg CO2-eq.
2x200 taxi rides x 11km x 0.15kg/km = 660 kg CO2-eq.
• Dietary choices have large effect!
Consumer behaviour key. Let’s support them!
Some reflections by the chef
• “We look at the volumes of surpluses.
If they are high, we propose to the conference organisation to reduce
the dish volumes for the next days.”
• “We strive for the best food waste valorisation within the limitations of
the HACCP food safety regulations.”
• “If beef becomes scarce, we may need to switch to alternatives.”
• “We are curious how the consumers will react to the meat alternatives.”
Chef at Ayana
Measuring the climate impact of
our diet choices
Learn more: bit.ly/climate-smart-lunches
Thank you for your participation!