Human Computer Interaction INTERACT Cape Town, September 3, 2013
A Design-Oriented Process
and Platform for Inspiring and
Accelerating Urban Agriculture
Christine Geith, Ph.D.
Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, USA
Nikos Palavitsinis, and Nikos Manouselis
Agro-Know Technologies, Vrilissia, Athens, Greece
INTERACT 2013 - 14th IFIP TC13 Conference on Human-Computer Interaction
Cape Town, South Africa, 2-6 September 2013
FoodPLUS Detroit Coalition
• Local multi-stakeholder group
facilitating and accelerating a
more sustainable food system
• Michigan State University
(MSU) is a facilitating
• There are two distinct implementation strategies
that uniquely reinforce each other:
– a new approach to multi-stakeholder cooperation and
– a new approach to participative knowledge development.
• Multi‐stakeholder engagement is one of the primary
operating principles of FoodPLUS Detroit.
• Interactive and engaging events
that explore ways in which
education and technology can
catalyze green innovation.
• Within a Green Ideas
event, collaboration and ideation
happen in stages: