Introduce the Hippo Song
• Check vocabulary.
• Teach TPR actions where possible.
• Ss listen to the song for general
• Ss sing along.
• “A happy hippo holiday”
What do kids need at this stage?
• Much repetition of English
Stage II: Early production
• This period may last 6 months:
• Ss develop receptive and active
vocabulary ( 1000 words).
• Speak in 1 or 2 word phrases.
• Use of memorized short language
chunks ( =a large part or amount of
Suggestions for working with
Ss in this stage:
• Ask yes/no and either/or questions.
• Accept one or two word responses.
• Give students the opportunity to participate in
some of the whole class activities.
• Use pictures and realia to support
questions ( answers).
• Modify content information to the
language level of ELLs.
• It takes students from 4-10 years to
achieve cognitive academic
language proficiency in a second
• .Student at this stage will be near-
native in their ability to perform in
content area learning.
• At the beginning of this stage,
however, they will need continued
support from classroom teachers
especially in content areas such as
history/social studies and in writing.