Carbon and the carbon cycle
Catherine Mortimer-Hawkins, IEST
The goals for today!
• To know that carbon is in all organic compounds.
• To know different forms of carbon.
• To know a little about CO2 and carbonates.
• To know a little more about the carbon cycle.
• Pages in your book: 56, 238-239, 240-241.
• An element
A substance that contains only ONE kind of
atom. For example gold.
One single atom. For example ”C” (carbon)
Several atoms together. For example ”H2O”
• Chemical symbols:
A symbol for an element.
For example H = Hydrogen
Some chemical symbols:
H – Hydrogen, C – Carbon, O – Oxygen
• Chemical formula:
For example CO2. Shows that carbondioxid
contains one carbon and two oxygen atoms.
Organic chemistry and Carbon
• A carbon atom has 4 places to bond to other
atoms, for example to C, H or O.
• Because of this it can bond in so many
• ORGANIC CHEMISTRY is about compounds
containing carbon atoms.
• All living organisms contain carbon!
Different forms of carbon
For example in pencils and electrical contacts.
Soft and black.
For example in jewelry and in drill bits (borrspetsar). Hard
• Amorphous carbon
For example charcoal.
Discovered in 1985 and used in
a – Diamant
b – Grafit
c – Lonsdalenit
d – C60
e – C540
f – C70
g – Amorft kol
h - Nanotub
• Colourless gas with no smell.
• Much heavier than air.
• Turns straight in to solid at -78 deg C, dry ice.
• One carbonate is calciumcarbonate, CaCO3.
The carbon cycle
1. CO2 in the atmosphere from organisms and factories.
2. CO2 disolves in the oceans.
3. Trees and plants take in CO2 , photosynthesis.
4. Animals and plants release CO2 in the atmosphere.
5. Dead animals and plants becomes food for animals or gets buried and after
millions of years becomes oil.
6. Factories and cars burn oil and releases CO2 in the atmosphere.
• Read pages: 56, 238-239, 240-241.
• Go to: nomacath.skolbloggen.se
• Read through the power point presentation
• Write on a piece of paper 5 different
questions and answer them. You can also mail
them to me. These questions will help you
study to the test, Friday the 26th of November.